Want an upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Want an upgrade

Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this useful forums on the net. I don't know a lot about technology so this will be a lot of help to me. I want to upgrade my PC so that I can run games more smoothly. My current PC cannot handle FPS and heavy graphic animations. While running a game and watching youtube video at the same time my PC lags quite often. Whenever that happen I always check my CPU performances in Start Task Manager and it's close to 100%. Below is my current PC attributes. Can you tell me what I can do to improve my PC for better and smoother performances? Do I need a new graphic card?

I currently used up all my memory space available. I have only 1 GB of free space left. Just a curious question, can this affect my PC performance?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I'm very much appreciated!

sadowclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Want an upgrade

Well from what I can tell, that CPU and video card (I think that's what it is) are both incredibly old. You will need to spend a lot of money upgrading your computer. Well, maybe not a lot, but the amount of money your going to spend will definitely be in the hundreds. Maybe $500 would give you a decent enough computer to run a game like Darksiders

MinorMIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You have a P4. That CPU is years old and isn't up to today's tasks. That being said, the only upgrades you MAY be able to do will only be a waste of money as they still won't offer you the level of performance you'll need. Another thing, the Quadro isn't a GPU meant for gaming.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_extreme View Post
You have a P4. That CPU is years old and isn't up to today's tasks. That being said, the only upgrades you MAY be able to do will only be a waste of money as they still won't offer you the level of performance you'll need. Another thing, the Quadro isn't a GPU meant for gaming.
Thread 2 you missed something "heavy graphics animations"
Quadro is probably for that, but the rest is all CPU bound. You only have one core to process things and it gets overloaded easily by todays standards. Depending on the chipset of your motherboard you might be able to snag a cheap C2D or C2Q, but really kind of a waste of money.
As was said, Quadro isn't meant for gaming at all.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Thread 2 you missed something "heavy graphics animations"
Quote:
My current PC cannot handle FPS
Didn't miss anything. I read it and knew that he said graphics animations. I was just echoing what was said in the post above me to give him reassurance that Quadro isn't for gaming. He mentioned gaming.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

I can't imagine him trying to run BF3 with this setup lol. Hell by games he could mean flash Facebook stuff which still hogs CPU.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote