Want to turn a server into a gaming rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyecdevf

In Runtime
I have had this computer pretty much as a server all this time. Now I was thinking of turning it into a gaming rig by adding a better graphic card. The problem though is that I can not seem to decide what graphic card to get. I do not want to spend a lot on it. What caught my eye is the Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5450, 1 GB, PCI-E. If it has 1 GB than it is enough to play any game on it. AT least that is what they say. I also like the way it looks. So what do you think? Is this graphic card good enough for play games like modern warfare 2?

If it has 1 GB than it is enough to play any game on it. AT least that is what they say.

that is what who says? whoever told you that is wrong. you can't just go by amount of memory, that just won't give you any accurate indication of a cards' performance.

the 5450 is by no means a gaming card. it will easily struggle to play games like mw2 at the lowest settings even on smaller resolutions. if you want to game on a budget, that's not a good choice.

tell us your budget, and we'll see if there is anything better you can get. btw, where are you located, U.S.? UK?

I have been playing wm2 for a while now and I really like it. The problem is that my graphic card does not handle it too well. I am playing it on my laptop. I also have my old gaming rig with ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card which I assume is out of the question. I have not even tried doing that.

Any way I have been having some problems deciding which graphic card to get. I do not want to buy a new graphic card every time some new game comes so I am willing to spend some more but I can not decide what price tag to go for. I want to have a good game experience on wm2 and as well when I get my hands on C&C4. How much do I need to spend? 400 euros 600...

We don't know the specs of your server so it'll be hard to recommend a card. Wouldn't make sense to get a high-end card for a low-end rig...

Anyways, you should be looking at a 5770 which should give you some decent performance for a while. If your server is fast, then you may think about getting a 5850 or a 5870 and that way you'll have a really nice gaming rig.

My server has a ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 motherboard with an intel core Duo E2140 processor. I was thinking maybe I would go for a Crossfire set up because my motherboard does support it. So I would get one graphic card now and some time later another one. I hope at least because I am not sure my 400W PSU is going to support that kind of a setup. Or should I just do a new build?

I just came from the computer store and I talked there with a clerk. He advised me to get the ATI Radeon HD 5770. It is not that expensive and it should do for a while at least. The question is if the 400w is enough. On the box cover is says that it needs some thing from 400w onward. The clerck was not too sure if it is going to function well. So I am asking you.

It is in fact a good quality. When I saw the Blue Storm II with a 12 cm fan I knew I had to have it.

ATX 12V V2.2
• Dual 12V output
• High Efficiency up to 85%
• Serieal ATA connectors for HDD
• Supports PCI-Express connectors
• Energy saving on standby mode <1W
• Thermal coated, blue protective casing
• Environmentally friendly power supply with Active PFC
• 120mm fan with variable thermal sensing control

Major Features

• ATX 12V V2.2 with dual 12V output compliant
with 24 / 20 pin adapter connector
• High Efficiency up to 85%
• PCI-E graphic card power connectors
• S-ATA power connectors
• True total power
• Safety: UL, CB, CE, CSA, TÜV, Nemko, FCC Class B,
BSMI, CCC, C-TICK, GOST

InputAC Input Active PFC, Full range (100-240 Vac)
Frequency 50Hz ~ 60Hz
Input Current <5A@115Vac ; <2.5A@230Vac
EMI Regulatory FCC Class B

Environmental Operating Temperature 0°C~50°C
Humidity 5-95% RH, Non-condensing
Operation Altitude Sea level 10,000ft
MTBF 100,000 hours @ 25°C
Safety Approvals UL, CB, CE, CSA, TÃœV, Nemko, FCC Class B,BSMI, CCC, C-TICK, GOST
Size 140mm(L) x 150mm(W) x 86mm(H)

That's a good power supply, so it MAY be able to run it :p

The 5770 requires 450watts, but you may be able to get away with just 400 watts since that PSU looks like its good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom