want to start playing pc games on old gateway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech b

Beta member
first off i'm a huge noob so bare with me...
currently i have:

pentium 4 1.8ghz
384mb ram
38.2gb total hd
Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller Adapter RAM 64.00 MB

i'm not sure if that is video card specs or what. basically i want to install and play 'gtr fia racing' and the minimum req. are:

Windows ME/2000/XP, 1,2 GHz CPU (AMD/Intel), 384 MB RAM DirectX 8.1 compatible graphics card with 32 MB 4xfach CD-ROM, 1 GB free hard disk space.

i'm not looking to mod the computer beyond belief, but i would like to play this game, and maybe others without problems. i am already planning on getting more ram as i started out with 128mb from the warehouse. basically looking for suggestions that will help me get where i want to, and possibly have room for future. money isn't tight, but i would like to keep it reasonable.... thanks for the help...

ok, any specific suggestions? i'm not sure if i'll be running into a compatibility problem on anything...

Unfortunately, i'm running the exact same chipset as you, with 512MB main memory.

Mine will not play anything. I tried loading NFS Underground and The Sims and the video chipset failed at both.

Buying PC memory isn't the main thing to make gaming fast, you need a video card. Anything will work better than a chipset :D

if u are a moderate gamer, or less, get like a 6600 or like a 6200. but make sure u unlock the extra 4 pipelines on the 6200 wit rivatuner.

gotcha, so next step is picking one out. i did a quick search and came across this unit. again i'm not familar with quality/value in relation to name brands but let me know if i'm heading the right direction....

6600 you say?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814141015

my only question with this one is that it has 256mb of memory and the game requirements say 384mb of ram... am i confusing something or do i need to go bigger? again i appreciate the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom