Want to make sure new mobo compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.
O oops sorry, i had two topics like this open:) . Your PSU is more than enough dont worry. And yes, if it says it supports Athlon X2's then your fine.

Ok, one more question. My motherboard is about 8" X 8" X 1 or 2". The motherboard description says that it's:

ASUS A8V-VM SE - Motherboard - micro ATX Dimensions: 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 inches ; 2.3 pounds

What do you think?

That's what I'm saying too, unless it was a typo or it's not a motherboard but the picture is of a motherboard.

Amazon.com: ASUS A8V-VM SE - Motherboard - micro ATX - K8M890 - Socket 939 - UDMA133, SATA (RAID) - Ethernet - video - 6-channel audio: Electronics

ASUS A8V-VM SE - Motherboard - micro ATX - K8M890 - Socket 939 - UDMA133, SATA (RAID) - Ethernet - video - 6-channel audio

Technical Details
Hardware Platform: PC
processor_socket: Socket 939 Unknown modifier
processor_maximum: 1 Unknown modifier
compatible_processor_types: Sempron Unknown modifier, Athlon 64 FX Unknown modifier, Athlon 64 X2 Unknown modifier, Dual-Core Opteron Unknown modifier, Athlon 64 Unknown modifier
System Bus Speed: 1000
› See more technical details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Details

Product Dimensions: 0.4 x 0.4 x 0.4 inches ; 2.3 pounds
Shipping Weight: 2.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
ASIN: B000LY1EJG
Item model number: 90-M9B1DK-G0EAY00Z
Average Customer Review: No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
Amazon.com Sales Rank
Popular in this category: (What's this?)

#6 in Electronics > Computer Add-Ons > Motherboards > Micro ATX Motherboards

Date first available at Amazon.com: April 19, 2007

Would you like to update product info or give feedback on images? (We'll ask you to sign in so we can get back to you)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Description

Product Description
The A8V-VM SE Supports AMD Athlon64 and AMD Sempron processors: The AMD Athlon 64 processor is based on AMD64 technology, which represents the landmark introduction of the industry's first x86-64 technology. The AMD Sempron is designed to give everyday computing compelling performance at an incredible value.64-bit computing, the next generation technology to replace current 32-bit architecture, delivers advanced system performance, faster memory access and increased productivity. This motherboard provides excellent compatibility and flexibility by supporting either 64-bit or 32-bit architecture.The CrashFree BIOS 2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.With ASUS EZ Flash, you can update BIOS before entering operating system. No more DOS-based flash utility and bootable diskette required.

Here is the specs from ASUS:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

I am downloading the manual right now to verify if it can handle a dual-core.

*EDIT* according to the motherboard's manual, it does support dual-core CPUs. The onboard graphics are VIA, so they are very weak. Definitely go with a GFX card.

You've helped me so much already that I really don't want to ask you this but I have to because I know nothing about graphics cards and I'll be posting back and forth here about ones I've found, probably only to find out it's not the right kind. Would you look into a graphics card for me?

I'll first make sure that the mobo is in stock. Maybe the 0.4 threw a lot of people off so they might be in stock. It doesn't say that they're not in stock.

The one I posted before will work fine unless you plan on doing any serious gaming or gaming on newer titles.

If you do want to game, or to just be able to should you choose, you have all kinds of options that are only limited by your budget. For good performance and a good bang-for your buck, look into either the 3850 or the 9600GT:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$169.99 ($149.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Newegg.com - XFX PVT94PYDF4 GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Original Price: $179.99 You Save: $5.00
$174.99 ($144.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)

Both cards will handle anything you want to play.

For something in-between, check out the 2600PRO or the 8600GT:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100206L Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$62.99

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Original Price: $104.99 You Save: $15.00
$89.99 ($59.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)

All of these, save the original one I recommended, have fans, so they will add a little to the noise level. None should add much, though.

I don't do gaming and I won't be overclocking so I don't need a super high quality graphics, but I watch a lot of videos, some stored in my pc and others on DVD on my pc. Because of this, I think the EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card would do what I need it to do. The only problem is that one of the reviews said:

"Cons: Heat. Idles at 54 degrees celcius, 68-72 ingame. I am getting extreme screen tearing, and even complete graphical lockups. I am hoping I can get this resolved with different drivers."

Is this a common problem. Is the graphics card causing it or is his settings off, etc?

Edit:
I just checked out the one that you mentioned in a previous post. I forgot it was there.

MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Newegg.com - MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

This one seems better than the first one I chose. Everyone seemed satisfied with it but everyone said that needs a lot of ventilation, but everyone said that all the graphics cards need good ventilation.

I think I'll go with the MSI card.

Thanks so much for helping me. I really appreciate it. This pc has given me so many problems. At one point, it sparked and smoked and blew my floppy drive. Another time, when I plugged in a SATA ext hdd, it blew my psu and floppy drive. Hopefully now it will have all it needs and it'll run well.

The 8400 will be more than enough. My wife's computer is our media computer. It is running a MX4000 GFX card and plays DVDs ad videos great.

Yeah, odds are the guy has no idea what he id doing. Trying to play Crysis on high with a mid-range card, or has little or ventilation in his case. I wish Newegg filtered out the idiot posts on their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom