Want to build a pc!! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pomx72.old

Baseband Member
need help with parts for building pc

I want to build a pc or get one built, Whats a good website to build a pc?

Well you could start off with the stickys and then you could chose some decent parts and post em here and we could check them out and make any suggestions before you buy them. There are more stickies on how to put the parts together once you got them. If you can't find a piece of information that your looking for in the stickies or by searching the tech-fourms....you can google it.

But it kinda sounds likke you want a site that builds it for you, kinda confused on that?

I Started looking i read some stickys i realized how stupid i was to just post a thread before searching. I went to newegg. It seems like a good site. The only problem is, i dont have the slightest clue of what is good and what isnt. Im so confused by all these companys

lol I was the same way like a year ago. I started to read this and xtremesystems.org forums last november, and i learned alot. But if you want to build a computer now, just read the stickies, look in the high performance section where most everyone posts the parts for a new computer and read what everyone says about them. You should have a pretty good idea of what you want after a week of this. Then figure out your budget is and find the parts you want, and make a new thread with the parts you choose and the budget you came up with. We will look over your build and give you different opinions, and you can decide whats best for you. Then buy the final parts you've decided on and follow one of the stickies or google "how to build a computer" and follow the steps.

But don't stop after you've built the system, keep reading the forums and start to post into some of the threads. There is so much more you could learn...like how to overclock and just to get the best preformance out of your system ;)

Good luck :)
....im going to bed now :p

edit: and yes newegg is a great site to order your parts from

Newegg.com is an excellent site to buy computer parts. Very good prices.

pomx72, I'll gladly guide you through the process of getting a new computer. Here are some basics.

Microprocessor (CPU)

The main players right now are AMD's Athlon64 X2 line and Intel's new Core 2 Duo line (nicknamed Conroe). It seems Intel's new line is a better choice.

Motherboard (Mobo)

The principal and most important feature of a motherboard is the socket it has. This is what defines what CPUs can be mounted on the board.

In this category, you have many options. If you chose an Athlon64 X2, then you'll want to get a motherboard with socket AM2 (socket 939 might work too, but it's becoming outdated). If you chose a Core 2 Duo instead, you'll need socket LGA775, sometimes called socket T. Be careful here, because not all LGA775 boards are compatible with Core 2 Duo; always check in the board's specs.

The good brands in this department are DFI, Asus, Intel, MSI, and Gigabyte, though Asrock, Abit and ECS sometimes offer competitive motherboards.

Memory (RAM)

You'll want 1GB or more of RAM. Many people are shooting for 2GB right now, but 1GB is enough for most applications.

The newest type of memory is called DDR2 and it's what you should aim for. DDR2 comes in different speeds, mainly 533Mhz, 667Mhz and 800Mhz.

The recommended memory brands are: OCZ, gSkill, Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin and Patriot.

Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

Here you'll want to focus your attention on two excellent brands: Seagate and Western Digital. The relatively-new SATA interface is preferable (this is how the HDD is connected to the motherboard; just look for "SATA"). Apart from this, there's no much difference between hard drives except their capacity in GB. Just get what you need.

Video Card (a must if you like to play games)

Again, there are two big families you can chose from. First, there's the nVidia Geforce 7 family, which include the following models: 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900 and 7950. Second, you have ATI's Radeon X1k family, with the following options: X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900 and X1950.

There'll also be different version of each card model, usually indicated by two or three letter after the model number: 7600GT, X1800XT, and so on.

You should know that nVidia and ATI don't make the cards themselves; they only make the GPU (the graphics chip). What I've posted above are GPUs. Other companies are in charge of making the actual video card. That's why you'll see things like "XFX 7600GT" and "eVGA 7600GT". Here 7600GT is the model of the GPU (made by nVidia) and XFX and eVGA are "manufacturers" who make and sell the card itself.

Good manufacturers are: eVGA, BFG, XFX, Gigabyte, Sapphire, Powercolor, MSI, Asus, HIS, Chaintech and Leadtek.

---

That's all for now. We're still missing some parts, like the Case, the Power Supply, an Optical drive, and of course Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

Any questions so far?

I dont really have any questions, That was pretty helpful, I have a budget. It is 1000 dollars. I can get something pretty good with that right?... Let me specify what i want my comp for. I want to burn cd/dvd. maybe play games. I want to have an extended desktop, I dont know what video card can support that. Um Music and videos. homework and stuff. Thats pretty basic i know but i hope that helps with this process. Im going to start reading that web site that darkop16 gave me and look around on newegg with the guide by meithan. Im really going to appreciate the help on this build so any suggestions please feel free to say. I hope i dont make a fool of myself in this process. I really dont know much about building comps. ^__^

I just went onto nnewegg and choose some stuff and what i think would be a complete computer. I think im missing some stuff. It came out to to much and i havnt even got the burner.

Update
Shuttle XPC SS31T Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel Pentium D/Pentium 4/CeleronD SiS 662 NanoBTX Form Factor Barebone - Retail
Model #: SS31T
Item #: N82E16856101013
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Remove item from Cart Remove Save Save Move To Wish List
$139.99 -$10.00 Instant
$129.99
Internal Hard Drives
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD5000KS
Item #: N82E16822136014

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate
$179.99 -$10.00 Instant
$169.99
LCD Monitors

Update
Optiquest by Viewsonic Q7B-3 Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Model #: Q7B-3
Item #: N82E16824116010
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

$50.00 Mail-in Rebate
$178.99 $178.99
Video Cards

Update
3D Fuzion 3DFR76256GSE GeForce 7600GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 3DFR76256GSE
Item #: N82E16814143054

$88.88 $88.88
Power Supplies

Update
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: W0070RUC
Item #: N82E16817153023

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate
$38.99 $38.99
Speakers

Update
JBL DUETWHT 12 Watts 2.0 Speaker - Retail
Model #: DUETWHT
Item #: N82E16836101013
$35.99 $35.99
Keyboards

Update
Logitech 967973-0403 Black PS/2 Standard Deluxe 250 Desktop Mouse Included - OEM
Model #: 967973-0403
Item #: N82E16823126017
$13.75 $13.75
Desktop Memory

Update
Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT6464AA804 - Retail
Model #: BL2KIT6464AA804
Item #: N82E16820146566

$169.99 $169.99
Intel-compatible Motherboards

Update
Intel BOXDG965RYCK Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: BOXDG965RYCK
Item #: N82E16813121048
Return Policy: Manufacturer Warranty

$112.99 $112.99
Processors

Update
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6300
Item #: N82E16819115005
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$180.00 $180.00
Subtotal: $1,119.56
Shipping
Zip Code:
GO

*Enter your Zip Code and select a shipping option to determine your shipping cost.
Shipping: $0.00
Redeem Gift Certificates
Claim Code:
Security Code: Redeem
Gift Certificates: $0.00
Apply Promo Code
Promo Code: Apply

*This cart qualifies for No Payments for 6 Months with Newegg.com Preferred Account* Total(before tax): $1,119.56

i came up with a list for ya based around the system your looking of:

CM centurion 5 $45
asus p5b vinalla $135
evga 7600gt $130
froton 500w $90
e6300 $180
g.skill 1gb stick $125
WD 250gb 16mb $75
microsoft comfort curve (keyboard and mouse) $22
samsung 17" lcd 5ms with dvi $200
liteon dvd burner w/light scribe $32
logitech x-230 speakers $32

total $1065...$1118 after shipping :(

I couldn't find the video card you picked out but the evga 7600gt is a great card for the price.
Logitech are known for great speakers for their price....i know i own some :). The x-230 are pretty powerful (ive listened to the x-530 which is the 5.1 version of the x-seireis) and they come with a sub.
Samsungs are know for little to no chance of dead pixels. In fact i wish the monitor i picked out was aviable when i got my monitor. Its cheaper and still has a dvi slot, better contrast, and better reponse time.
Asus are awesome with their mobos.
I picked out a g.skill 1 gb stick cause its cheaper that way and you can get another later for 2gb....best way to go as far as upgrading.

Sry i couldn't get it below 1000 but its kinda hard with everything (computer, monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers) and tyring to keep it a good mid-high end system ;).

Hope ive helped you out some. :p

pomx72, I haven't had time to review your last post, sorry. I'll try to do it later on tonight (going to the movies right now).

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom