Virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

KathyD

Beta member
Have 6 year old computer (Gateway 700 SE-OS-Microsoft XP)with 768 MB memory & 40 GB Hard drive. I have two external hard drives with space of 146 GB & 180 GB. I am working on a Word document that is 518 MB and I am getting a message showing not enough memory or disk space. I have cleaned off everything I can and according to Gateway cannot add any more memory to this computer.

I found in the Gateway Help & Support section this information:

"You can optimize virtual memory use by dividing the space between
multiple drives and removing it from slower or heavily accessed drives.
To best optimize your virtual memory space, divide it among as many
physical hard drives as possible."

So how do I go about dividing my virtual memory space among
the three drives so that I can increase the virtual memory capability
and bring up my 518 MB Microsoft Word document. If someone has an answer please be VERY specific about how to do this as I am not very computer savy. Thanks. for any help or suggestions.

why is the doc so large? is there another application that you could use instead of word? if you are putting in lots of pictures try compressing them. double click on a picture in the document, select the picture tab, click compress at the bottom left, apply to all pictures in document, change resolution to print/screen, and select compress and crop at the bottom. save a copy before you do this, as the results will be permanent.

The document is a genealogy book. The book is entirely all pictures. I do not have another application to open it in. I wish now I had divided the 400 page document into two parts and worked on them separatley and might not have had the problem. I tried to do what was suggested ie double click on the pictures and compress but I cannot do anything to the document at this point as all the options are dimmed and it will not let me work on it at all. The only solution I see is trying to somehow increase the memory so I can continue to work on it. Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good one if I could do it.

518MB ?

Gee!
Get onto a higher spec system and get them compressed, thats big.

Lady Jade,
That is what I would like to try to divide the space between
multiple drives and removing it from slower or heavily accessed drives.
I could best optimize my virtual memory space, by dividing it among as many
physical hard drives as possible. I have 3 drives drive c: and two external hard drives.

I don't know how to do this so how do I go about dividing my virtual memory space among the three drives so that I can increase the virtual memory capability and bring up my 518 MB Microsoft Word document. If you know and could tell me please be VERY specific about how to do this as I am not very computer savy. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

maybe try:

1 go to start, control panel, system, advanced, performance; settings. then select for best performance.

2 press control-alt-delete, processes, click the user name tab, and on processes that are under your user name, right click on everything but explorer.exe, iexplorer.exe, taskmgr.exe, and select end process. only to processes under your user name. dont try to stop those in the system or others. then try to open the program.

3 buy more ram of the type already found in your computer and install it.

or, go to the source:
How to optimize Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000

creating an array from multiple harddrives i think might decrease performance, as hard drive memory is a lot slower than ram memory, and more hard drive requests for the page file over multiple drives will have to be created.... or something.

Jason,
I will try your suggestions. I did go in and start a new word document and added a picture and tried the compress picture idea. I think that would really work with my big document if I am ever able to retrieve the document and actually work on it again. Many thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom