Video Cards 101 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
My Swag is on!
 
rkf76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 411
Default Video Cards 101

I braved the crowds this morning to score a Samsung 19" LCD flatscreen monitor from Staples for $199, $256 out the door. It's great, but I have a feeling it could be even better if I were to use a video card instead of the motherboard's onboard video. Would this be a correct assumption? If so, please explain what specs I should look for when shopping for a video card. I'm a video card virgin so be gentle
__________________

rkf76 is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Send a message via AIM to Camden
Default

Yes, vid cards are always better than mobo-integrated graphics .

Look at this card; imho, evga's the best gfx card around, and the 6800 GT is pretty widely liked.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130240

Just make sure it's compatable with your mobo first if you buy a new gfx card ^_~
__________________

Camden is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
My Swag is on!
 
rkf76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 411
Default

No way in hell would I pay that much for a video card. I don't need high end stuff here, all I do is surf the net and watch porn on my computer, $300 is overkill.

But thanks for the info. And when you say "make sure it's compatible" how am I supposed to know if it's compatible?
__________________
Mobo Abit AN-M2
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 2.8Ghz Black Edition
HD Seagate 7200.10 250GB/Maxtor DM +9 160GB/WD 500gb external
Optical Drive Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD burner
RAM G.Skill DDR2 800 Dual channel 2GB (2 x 1GB)
GPU MSI HD 4830 OC
Audio AudioTrak Prodigy HD2
Speakers Insignia NS-B2111
Receiver JVC UX-G70
PSU Hiper Type-R 580 watts
Case Lian Li PC-7SB w/Window
Monitor Lenovo L222
rkf76 is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Send a message via AIM to Camden
Default

If you have a budget then post it

Though if all you do is netsurf and watch porn, you don't really need a gfx card
Camden is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
My Swag is on!
 
rkf76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 411
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Camden
If you have a budget then post it

Though if all you do is netsurf and watch porn, you don't really need a gfx card
I want my porn to look crisp

I'd say $50-$75 would be my budget
rkf76 is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Send a message via AIM to Camden
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by rkf76
I want my porn to look crisp

I'd say $50-$75 would be my budget
Lol


Try this one then. Probably the best you can get if you're just shellin out 60 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130197
Camden is offline  
Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
My Swag is on!
 
rkf76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 411
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Camden
Lol


Try this one then. Probably the best you can get if you're just shellin out 60 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130197
I need to upgrade two things at once, RAM and AGP....hopefully that'll do away with the lag I experience in WMP sometimes....never happens w/Quicktime or RealPlayer.
rkf76 is offline  
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 722
Send a message via AIM to Riceball
Default Re: Video Cards 101

Quote:
Originally posted by rkf76
I braved the crowds this morning to score a Samsung 19" LCD flatscreen monitor from Staples for $199, $256 out the door. It's great, but I have a feeling it could be even better if I were to use a video card instead of the motherboard's onboard video. Would this be a correct assumption? If so, please explain what specs I should look for when shopping for a video card. I'm a video card virgin so be gentle
Haha i bought the same exact monitor at Staples this morning. Had to wake up at 3:00 .... but i was first in line
__________________
AMD 64 3200+ Newcastle@ 2.2Ghz
MSI-RS480M-IL
1GB (1x1GB) OCZ Performance Series
ATI X700 Pro 256MB OC\'d 475/525
OCZ Modstream 520W
Thermaltake Tsunami
Samsung 914v 19\" 12ms LCD
SB X-Fi w/ Logitech Z 5300e
Riceball is offline  
Old 11-26-2005, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,946
Default

You need to make sure you have an agp OR a pci-e slot before you buy a video card. This will tell you:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadge...552939e1c5d14c
__________________
LIAN LI PC-7B PLUS II
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W
P4 3.2
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
vaderpro is offline  
Old 11-26-2005, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
My Swag is on!
 
rkf76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 411
Default Re: Re: Video Cards 101

Quote:
Originally posted by Riceball
Haha i bought the same exact monitor at Staples this morning. Had to wake up at 3:00 .... but i was first in line
I got up at 3:30, made it to Best Buy by 4, was there for only 10 minutes before I found out the vouchers for the $149 eMachines computer were already spoken for, ended up at staples at about 4:45 and was 4th in line...the monitor was all I wanted/needed from Staples.
__________________

rkf76 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.