Video card voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

lws_junior

Baseband Member
How does one find out what the voltage of a particular video card uses? I've searched the web sites of many product manufacturers who offer no info. I'm just afraid that someday I'm going to install a 1.5v card into a mb with a 3.3v agp slot.

Even though I can adjust the agp voltage in the bios, it's the initial install/turn (default agp voltage) on I'm concerned about. Little hard to explain... Thanks.

Everest Home Edition might... im not sure but if it does go to "Computer > Sensors " and look around

There are three voltages used on AGP Video cards: 3.3V, 1.5V, and 0.8V. Early AGP1x/2x cards used 3.3V, the vast majority of AGP2x/4x compatible cards use 1.5V, and AGP8x cards usually support 0.8V, but are backwards compatible to AGP4x with 1.5V.

You do not have to worry about this on modern motherboards and AGP cards - any card made after 1998 will have keying in its AGP connector which will prevent one from installing the wrong card into the wrong slot. Unless you're using a Pentium II motherboard with an AGP8x card, you're going to have a hard time frying an AGP card this way.

In short, the motherboard takes care of this - do not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom