Video Card upgrade for my Dell XPS 8300-7007BK

omardebs27

Solid State Member
Hey everyone!

This is my first post here so I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read this.

Here are the specs of my desktop:

Core i7 2600 3.4GHz Processor
16GB DDR3 Memory
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
1GB Radeon HD 6450 Graphics
HDMI
16x DVD+/-RW
WiFi N
Windows 8 Home Premium

I bought my computer about 6 months ago and I've loved it. However, I am starting to do a lot more gaming on it and less on my PS3 and I have noticed the video card 1GB Radeon HD 6450 Graphics is not very good for most games. I am currently playing Divinity II, Darksiders 2, Saints Row The Third, and The Witcher 2. All of these games are playable, but the settings have to be set pretty low and there is occasional lag.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what kind of video cards would be compatible with my computer? I am looking to be able to play all of these games on medium/high settings with no issue. My budget is somewhere around $75.

Also, I have read online that some video cards need a different power supply or something like that, so if you could help me out with that, too, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

yeah u probably would need a new psu since prebuilt computer's psu always sucks, and 75 dollars budget for video card that is better than radeon 6450 is not enough at all. new psu and video card could run 175 dollars or more.... but i would wait for others to reply as well.

yeah u probably would need a new psu since prebuilt computer's psu always sucks, and 75 dollars budget for video card that is better than radeon 6450 is not enough at all. new psu and video card could run 175 dollars or more.... but i would wait for others to reply as well.
Thanks for the reply. Would I know what kind of PSU I'd need when I buy a video card? Or is that something I have to research beforehand? And how easy/difficult is it to swap out old PSU and video card for new ones?

Thanks for the reply. Would I know what kind of PSU I'd need when I buy a video card? Or is that something I have to research beforehand? And how easy/difficult is it to swap out old PSU and video card for new ones?

I would suggest in the order... corsair, seasonic, antec, those are 3 brands i would trust and about 550, 600 watts would be enough. its easy, just unplug everything *of course make sure power off lol* unscrew psu and pull it out and put in new psu the same way... same connections, ur next new video card might will have a connection to power up, not all video do that tho. replacing video card is easy as well. u can always go to youtube on how to replace video card/psu if needed to :) so do u have new budget in mind that now u know u need both psu and new video card?

Haha yeah it looks like my budget needs to be more around $150-$200. That's not an issue as long as I am getting something good and that will (hopefully) last a long time, you know?

Is there anyway to know what kind of PSU is in my computer right now? Or would I have to contact Dell and find out?

Also, as far as video cards and what I am looking for, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Any standard ATX PSU is compatible, in that case, how high are you willing to raise your budget? I suggest trying to get something around the GTX 660 or 660ti and a good Seasonic MK2.

Any standard ATX PSU is compatible, in that case, how high are you willing to raise your budget? I suggest trying to get something around the GTX 660 or 660ti and a good Seasonic MK2.
Thanks for the reply!

So would you prefer the Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE, the Seasonic M12-700 700W ATX EPS Modular 80+ Certified Power Supply, the Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified, or the Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600)?

Thanks again for the reply I really appreciate it!

Seasonic makes the Corsair TX brand, whereas CWT (a lesser brand) makes the CX series, as the quality is dropped quite a bit. All mentioned are suitable for the task but if it was up to me I would be all over the M12II 620. It and the TX650 are practically the same unit, but the M12II is modular which will help with the clutter and air flow in your cramped Dell XPS case.

All high end single GPU solutions today can be run on that PSU, so it'll last you quite a while.

After that I suggest at least the GTX 660 for gaming purposes. That or the 660ti mixed with your 2600k should get you all nice and set for high quality gaming.

Back
Top Bottom