Video Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
I nkow this probably sounds really stupid, i'm looking at buying a video card. I dont' need anything expensive, i just need some for basic video/DVD viewing and picture editing. I'm looking at this one...has anyone had any experience with this Geforce or card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133177

Also, I dont' know much about computers yet....so in the pic i've attached is the black slot near the middle of the picture the slot the card would fit in? how can i tell where it would fit?

Again, please dont' flame me for not knowing too much, i'm trying to learn:D

Attachments

• 100_1636 (custom).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 200
OK, that black slot is the AGP slot, but it looks "different" from what the card looks like. On the card, there are three seperate "parts" that slide into an AGP slot. However, in my AGP, there are no seperators or"breaks", its just one long black slot. does that make sense? If that makes sense then will that video card fit? if not, then look at this spec page if you would from sony and see if that would tell you anything...thats my exact computer, it's 4 years old now...

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX755_sp.pdf

OK so after searching on Sony's website I found this for my comptuer:

AGP interface specifications, version 2.0 (supports 4X)

does that mean anything? I know, I know, probably a stupid question, but please be kind:)

So the Geforce card will work? Ok, now this may be even a dumber question, but in the pic i have attached, you can see the amount of space from the AGP slot(black slot) and the space that I would unscrew for the AGP card to stick out of. In the picture of the Geforce card from Newegg, it doesn't look like there is that much space between the part I plug in and the part I screw into the back of the case. I know my motherboard is old(ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S266VX REV 1), but it should fit right? and yeah, this is a serious question....

here is a pic i found of the layout of my motherboard. I'm just worried because my AGP slot looks different than an AGP slot that you'd see on a new motherboard.

Attachments

• untitled (custom).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 187
YEah 4x AGP is better than pci for sure.I think your thinking of PCIx16.Theres a huge differance.I would go with the card u wanted originaly it will outperform that 9250 like nothing.I know you dont play games but you can play source with that card i know for a fact.
Your good with installing this card but the only thing is you have onboard graphics right now and after installing the 6200 the mobo might not disable it and youll still be using the onboard video.most of the time u can go in bios and fix this problem but it might not even happen.If you plan on getting that card i would download the latest drivers for it and put them on a disc and use thoughs instead of the cd's in the box becuase they are often out of date.Ohh yeah it will fit no problem becuase the GFX card will sit upside down with the heatsink on bottom.SO u pretty much dont need any clearance on top.

ok, so from what i'm being told, even though my AGP slot is different from what you'd see on a new mother board, the card i'm looking at getting from newegg will fit. if anyone knows differently, please let me know, if i dont' see any posts saying it won't fit, i'm ordering it this evening after i get off of work!

I'm bumping this one more time to see if anyone thinks a new video card will not work with my Old motherboard and different looking agp slot....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom