Video Card and Power Supply Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hey All,

I am going to upgrade my computer with a new graphics card. My comp is too old to use PCI-E so I'm stuck with AGP. As a broke college student getting a new motherboard is out. So, I need advice on two things:

1. Whether I should get the 7600gs or 7800gs. I know the 7800 is better but is it worth the extra money? Also is it worth it to get the 512 MB versions or stick with the 256 MB. Again I know one is better but I've read that they cannot really use 512 MB so I'd just be wasting money. So advice on brand and model would be appreciated.

2. I need advice on a new PSU. Is there a limit on the wattage my motherboard can take? I've heard that mine may max at 350W, but the best graphics cards say they need 400W. So, advice and suggestions on what I should do would be great.

My comp specs:

HP a642n
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0 GHz)
1 GB RAM (2x512) (added 1 stick)
200 GB Hard Drive
added Creative Audigy 2 sound card

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9865&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

^Link has all the info about my comp.

Thanks for any and all help.

There is no limit on how much wattage your motherboard can take. About the graphic card. The 7800GS is about the best AGP graphics card you can get. The amount of memory depends on the the kind of games you play, but usually 256MB takes care of most games. If you're on a tight budget just get the 7600GS.

Okay, I was talking to HP via chat earlier and they mentioned something about the highest my computer could use was 350W but I was thinking that maybe that was because they only sold up to 350W. Also, any advice on a brand of graphics card and PSU?

Thanks.

Hahahaha, ofcourse they're gonna tell you it can only handle a 350watter if that's the highest they sell. A good PSU company you're looking at Antec or Hiper for cheaper. The brand of video card is really up to you. Just look for a company that offers the best warranty.

It is an ATX with a 250W PSU. FYI I just finished another chat with HP and apparently they are told to say that the extra power would "force" power into my computer. I think its a bit of BS but that's what they are told. I get the feeling that the tech support guy didn't believe it either.

Hope this helps.

It's not gonna force power into your computer. You could run a 2000 watt PSU if tickled your fancy. Your system is only going to use what it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom