video card and monitor compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

llDaNll

Solid State Member
I just bought a BFG 7900gt video card and when I put it in my computer and start it up there is no signal going to the monitor. The fan on the video card spins up and everything is plugged in correctly; however, the light monitor stays an amber color instead of turning green when there is a signal going to it. I upgraded from a bfg 7600gt and that card works fine in my computer. They both use PCI express so I know that is not the problem. I figured that my new video card was just DOA. But I talked to a guy who said he has seen it where newer video cards do not work with certain LCD monitors. I took this as a posibility and took the card with me to work and plugged it into a computer here at work. Sure enough it worked perfectly fine. The monitor I have at home is only a month old. I have two of them and neither one works when plugged into this card. The display type on the ones at my house are SXGA, and the display type on the dell monitors at work is Flat panel display/TFT active matrix. Anyone heard of something like this happening? Anyone know why it might not be working, what is it with a monitor that would make it not work? is it the display type or something else?

thanks!

it never turns on. I turn on the computer and the monitor never gets a signal from the video card. If I change back to a different video it works fine. I know everything is plugged in correctly.

-One thing I just noticed was that my video card requires a power supply with +12V@20A and mine is +12V@18A...So I am going to try takin my monitor from work home and see if it works with that, if not I am going to buy a new power supply I guess.

So I have been looking around for a new power supply and I am starting to doubt that it is my power supply. I have been looking all over and there are very few power supplys that have 12V at 20A or more....so if thats the case than everyone with this video card has one of the less than 10 different power supplys that i have seen that have that? Just seems too crazy. and I know the computers at work that I tested it on are not that high..at least i doubt it, they are just Dell Optiplex gx 280's that the card worked with. I dunno I guess I will have to keep looking into it.

well I was right about the Power supply thing not being the problem...I got it working...and it was pretty much the dumbest thing ever that was causing it not to work. I decided today that I would take everything out and make sure some wire didn't get bumped and come unplugged when I was installing my new videocard and ram..and I noticed that one of the sticks of ram was not seated correctly in the slot.. I pushed it all the way in, and it booted up fine...

yea i feel like an idiot. but at least its working. haha

Didnt your mobo give you any beep codes though?

usually if the ram isnt seated properly it will result in endless beeps...

well i messed up putting the RAM in twice...first I tried putting both sticks in the black slots, and i forgot to clip the second stick in and it did beep like crazy. so I didnt know what the beep was about so I just changed them to the yellow slots, and the one stick was in most of the way and cliped down but some of the metal parts were not all the way down in the slot..so I guess it was in enough to not beep but not enough to work I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom