Video Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_Jedi

In Runtime
Hello All!!!

I am in the market for a new video card sense my XFX 7600GT is starting to show its age. I have windows vista business 32bit with a ASUS M2N-E motherboard, 580watt PSU, 2 GB ram, 2.8ghz AMD 64 X2 CPU. I have Three hard drives with only one empty space left in the drive bay. My case is a Apevia X-Plorer Blue ATX Case w/ Side Window. I have my eye on a 8800 series card but I have ran into some questions. I'd like to have the EVGA 640-P2-N824-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card but it is 9 inches long and would hit my SATA connectors on 2 of my hard drives. I found a XFX PVT88SFDD4 GeForce 8800GS XXX 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card that is only 8.5 inches long and would be perfect but I am afraid that the PCI Express 2.0 on the card is not compatible with the PCI Express 1.0 on my MOBO. So does anyone have any Ideas on what I can do?

No worries about 1.0 vs 2.0 PCI-E, as they both work together and are compatible.

As for the card blocking your SATA connections, have you looked at low profile, 90 degree SATA cables?
SATA Internal Cables at CableGear

Any particular reason you want to go for a card that is now two generations behind? Yeah, they're cheaper now, but there are better cards out there for about the same money. The 9600, ATI 3870, and ATI 4850 are all better than the 8800.

Also, make sure your PSu can handle the card, whichever you choose.

There really isn't any reason why I would like to have a 8800. I may take a look into the 9 series. I have never used an ATI card... I stick with nVidia. Are you sure that a PCIe 2.0 card will work in a PCIe 1.0 slot... I have read that there can be some issues with that but I don't know. Plus my motherboard is "old" but it still is running strong to a mobo replacement isn't going to happen for a year or more. Also price is an issue for me. I'm looking for things $149.99 and under and I plan to buy off of newegg. Thanks for the low profile sata site. I may order some. I haven't checked but I may be able to move my hard drives more toward the front of the case and use the front two screw holes instead of the back two on my hard drives (front being where the power and sata connects to).

Newegg.com - XFX PVT88SFDD4 GeForce 8800GS XXX 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Not bad for only $85!!!!

Yes but the price to power ratio I think is better... $85 for 8800GS.... $169 for some ATI 4something or other... I've always used nVidia and I will always continue to. I have never had anyproblems with them unlike my friend who has an ATI card.

ATI has the best bang for your buck cards out right now. there really is no comparison between an hd4850 and an 8800gs...but, your money. to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom