Which video card to go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
[I recently built my brother a computer (like a month back if you may remember) that consisted of a 7750 Kuma, Biostar motherboard, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Windows XP, DVD burner, 9500GT, and Antec Neo 500w PSU. Including the monitor, keyboard, speakers, mouse it came out to like 800-850. I got him only the 9500GT since the only game he'll play online is CS 1.6, which is not graphic intensive at all.]

A buddy of his called me up today wanting just the tower for basically the same price range ~ $600. He said that he'll be playing War craft (3? maybe, don't remember) on the PC. Talked something about playing a multi-player game like Risk(the board game) on War craft, lol I don't know. But he also plans on playing CS 1.6 on it, and he said he is definitely picking up Diablo III when it comes out. I don't know how demanding Diablo III will be, but I suggested he get this card for the build..

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - For sure it will destroy CS 1.6, Warcraft (or 3) is a pretty old game is it not? So I believe it would run that no problem, but for Diablo III, will it be enough?

Other than the video card, I pretty much suggested the same setup for everything else as my brothers. Kuma, biostar mobo, 320gb hdd, 2gb ram, xp/vista, dvd burner, thermaltake soprano case (his choice). For the power supply the video card requires (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps), so what PSU would you suggest?

Definitely want to keep the card no more than 160 so he stays on budget. If that card is good enough, how does the HD 4850 compare (basically same price).

If you think you could come up with a setup for $600 using either an AMD or Intel, with everything in the tower + OS, go for it, but for the most part I think it's a solid build for the price after the video card / PSU are set in stone.

So the card will run Diablo III/warcraft just fine, or is it overkill for the above mentioned games? Yeah they look pretty much the same. What PSU would you suggest to go with the card or one card below if the 9800GTX+ is overkill?

[Only $90 eh? Dang, that is quite a deal. Unfortunately he still has to talk to his g/f about when exactly he is getting the tower, so I don't know how soon it'd be, but I may be interested in purchasing the card. I'm still on an old 7600GT. I'll check my PSU specs (have a FSP group 450W) and I'll send you a PM if my PSU could run it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom