video card fitment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeg

In Runtime
hi, im planning on updating my video card in a day or 2, and i was wondering if it would fit/work with what i have now.

i have a gateway, but came with a fx 5200 card, and soundblaster sound card. 512mb of ram dvd cd blah blah.

now i want to get the new 7800gs from XFX since its oc more then the others. and it says i need a 350watt psu, with a 4pin whatever. and i have no idea what it looks like, or if my psu even has one free. tho if i recall correctly there is a wire goin from my psu to my current card but not 2 sure. so some info and such would be cool. :p

You'll definitely need to upgrade your PSU.

It's a 4-pin molex connector. That's the same kind of plug that goes into the hard drive and your CD/DVD drive. So, you should probably grab a molex splitter, like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812183147
EDIT: Oops... seems that a power connector comes with the card.

If you plan on gaming much, you should also look into upping your RAM. A gig would do you good.

so.. the card comes with the connecter i need to hook it up? yea im getting ram also, 2 more stick of 512, so it takes up all 4 slots.

new psu, is that needed right away? cuz i dont want to get a new psu, plus a new case since company make there psu's in weird sizes. if anything ill take old one out mount it ontop of the case and legthen the wires if need be lol.

so yea, wires are there then, just need to use the split wire that comes with it and im good to go?

Actually, PSUs come in two standards... ATX and mATX.

Your Gateway may have a proprietary PSU. I've seen them before in Gateways. If your PSU doesn't mount with screws but mounts on tabs, you can't upgrade it without replacing your case.

The problem with upping your video without upping your PSU is that, if your current PSU can't handle the load, your computer will go nuts and can possibly fry your components (worst case scenario). The best outcome is that your comp will throw up random errors and/or reboot without warning.

and this WILL happen? or just a possibility?

and if its a deff. must, what watt should i get. and if i need a case, cant i just mod my current one to make it fit or w/e. but if its "proprietary" dosent that mean if i replace that, hook it up to the mobo it will fry anyweays, or is this the wrong info i heard.

woohoo i love gateway support, did a nice live chat to find out what i need and dont need.

ok you were right i will need a new psu with the card. eh, now i just cant get that extra ram right away. she said its a ATX form. she said to get this - The Apex 400W Allied ATX12V Power Supply for like 40$

but i found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182015
for less and more wattage.

so yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom