video card choice: core clock or memory clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megabyte800

Baseband Member
A dilemma arises. I'm torn between these two similar cards, and as there is only one small diference between them, I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

The Radeon X800XL has its core clocked at 400Mhz and its memory at 980Mhz.

The Geforce 6800GT has its core at 350Mhz and its memory at 1000Mhz.

What is the performance ratio of a memory Mhz to a core Mhz? In other words, which would you recommend? This card would be running alongside a San Diego AMD 64 3700+, with about a gig of Corsair DDR 3200 and a 120GB Maxtor PATA drive.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the X800XL, mainly due to the comments on Newegg about the 6800GT's tendency to run a bit hot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

that's like comparing amds to intel.....the cores are different dude so you can't look at the core clock alone.

Go with the 6800GT (I've got a friend who has an X800XL...I swear every week his story changes about how powerful it is) it first started off as "Its barebly below a 6800GT" then a few weeks later he says "Its right on par with a 6800GT" then a few weeks after that he says "It beats out a 6800GT" which is BS...it might do that in synthetic benchmarks but that's because all futuremark products like 3dmark03 and 05 are ATI biased.

Get the 6800GT, and OC it to an Ultra....all the new cards run hot so I don't see what those reviews are about anyway, but beyond that a newegg reviews is the LAST thing you should look at, as half those are planted there.

6800GT with an NVsilencer aftermarket heatsink = beyond ultra speeds

I would recommend evga or leadtek though, XFX has a tendency to produce bunk cards

Okay, so the core clocks are different. We all know that an AMD 2.2Ghz is faster than an Intel 2.2 Ghz.

So what would be faster, excluding all other factors in the card: a 375 Mhz 6800GT or a 375 Mhz X800XL?

I'd go with the 6800GT, if you know what to do you can fit your own cooler and get the performance of a 6800 ultra... which will outperform X800's. Radeons tend to have better results in benchmark tests, but nvidia seem to do much better with actual game performance, better driver and pixel shader support too...

The 6800Gt has a slower core speed than a Fx5900 or ATi Radeon 9800 but does that make the other cards better than a 6800, NO. There both very decent performing cards, but i'm gonna bank with nvidia...

I'm not sure but i think if you can flash a X800XL you can get up to 800 XT PE performance but if you don't know what your doing you got a video card worth nil... Warranty ain't going to help you there.

The performance of a 6800GT is about 10 or so frames less then the Ultra as well as getting SLI support for the immediate time.

Hope that helps abit:D

Newegg reviews aren't worth jack.... Don't listen to them, the video cards are always going to run a little warmer than usual now with the performance levels they reach but that shouldn't matter. THe only situation you should worry about that in is when you have a OC Prescott P4, two HDD and an OC X800 or 6800 card in a tiny little SHuttle case with very crappy ventilation...

If you have got standard ATX or even MicroATX it should be fine, you can even buy PCI fanning cards which sit in PCI slots just below the video and do a decent job of helping to cool and vent air around the video card. Just check out this cooler for only 25
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835114024
And these don't void the warranty on the video cards....

Go with th 6800GT it is the better of the two...

So what would be faster, excluding all other factors in the card: a 375 Mhz 6800GT or a 375 Mhz X800XL?
obviously per clock the 6800GT would be faster...you can tell being that the X800XL has a faster core yet it's not any faster (and IMO) is a hair slower than the 6800GT.

Radeons tend to have better results in benchmark tests,
and I explained why that is...futuremark benchmarks are biased towards ATI cards

Hey nubius, i was just stating for the record,( i wasn't trying to tread on your toes!Sorry dude!) that the ATi where better performs on benchmarks. And i know that the futuremark tests have been siding with ati, even before the futuremark series the 2001 test sided with Nvidia... (Anything goes today, anyway does it always seem bias even though it is only a two sided market?.... If one series of cards performs better we cry 'Biased or favoring' but it is only a two manufacturer market!

Go with in game performances, not benchmarks as the way to tell the performance... After all your playing games not benchmarking all the time.

Hey nubius, i was just stating for the record,( i wasn't trying to tread on your toes!Sorry dude!)
I didn't read it as such so theres no worries there, I was just reitterating that fact in case you didn't know, but yeah apparently you do

id go with the 6800gt, i bought the x800lx, not mad, its diffiently future proof to buy the nvidia cards or later radeons like the r520

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom