VGA cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default VGA cooling

I'm not too informed about this kind of topic, but I'm looking to get a VGA cooling system for our ATI x1900 card in our first generation Mac Pro. We were looking at the Accelero x2, but unfortunately it's discontinued and we can't seem to find anywhere selling it at a reasonable price. I've also looked into the Thermalaight Hr-03, but it seems a bit more complex to install and it looks like I need to buy a fan with it as well (please correct me if I'm wrong). Other VGA coolers have been brought up but to me they all seem inferior to these two, however, as I said before, I don't really know much when it comes to hardware. My main objective is to quiet my fan because me computer is extremely loud. I was reading about the Accelero x2 and it seems to blow hot air back onto the motherboard. From the posts that I was reading there were some people complaining about this, but it seems that the general consensus that it's still a great card. Is it blowing onto the motherboard not going to be an issue? Quite some time has passed since all of these forum posts that I've read. Are there currently any better options?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: VGA cooling

I have a Thermalright tr on an 8800gt with 2 120's and man it works well.

As long as your case Airflow is decent, the blow back shouldnt be an issue. Bewared though, theses coolers are a decent size, and you'll need abunch of room to run it.

As you noticed, theyre not sold znymore, so you might be stuck with ebay, or local buy n sells

Welcome to the forum.

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: VGA cooling

Thanks for the quick reply and the info.

I don't know if you have any experience with the accelero, but if you do (or anyone else), do you know how they compare performance-wise? Noise? Etc?

Edit: I'm not totally sure how good the air circulation is in these cases in comparison to the spectrum of PCs. Again, I just have the ol' Mac Pro case.
Closed Thread