Various Upgrade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiajax

Beta member
Howdy everyone,
This is going to be a fairly long post - I've got several questions.

Currently my computer is an FX-51, 1 gig of ram, 120 gig hd, geforce 5950. I'd like to be able to play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on the computer, and I know the most obvious upgrade is the graphics card. I know AGP is being phased out, and the only two cards I as options are the Nvidia 6800/7800 GS. I was wondering what you all would recommend to fully maximize the quality of the game, and how to avoid potential bottlenecks.

Edit: Also, I'm assuming the Fx-51 is fast enough for Oblivion, I hear it's about the equivalent of a AMD 64 3700 right?

However, I might not want to upgrade at all. I have an Xbox360 that will run Oblivion well, but the lack of the modding community and the lack of graphics adjustments make me weary.

Money:
Another thing, I know that AM2 comes out this Summer, and I have about 2 grand worth of American Express points just sitting around.

Should I upgrade the PC now for a few hundred dollars and just sit on the rest of the points, or should I just buy Oblivion for the Xbox360 and then build a new computer later in the summer?

Oh by the way, if I build my new computer, I have an Alienware case. Are those cases generally regarded as good ones, or should I buy a new case?

Thanks so much.

No case probs lol...

Now u said AGP is going out, im assuming u have an AGP mobo. The 6800Gs is very good for softmodding and can be quite effective when released...

1) What's your PSU?
2) 7800GS is better for your game
3) FX-51 should be fine.

OK, my opinion. Buy eldar scrolls on X-box. One of my mates said it was REALLY impressive, and he thought the X-box was ****.

Wait until Amd2 comes out and sit on your money...

If you have AGP, i would wait and play oblivion on the xbox. Once you the new hardware, ie G80's, R600's, AM2, Conroe's, etc. You then can build a sweet gaming build that would kill anything you built right now.

If you want you could just buy like a 6800GS and it could hold you back for a couple of more months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom