Value Cpu/MB for a media center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
So, I have a case, hard drive, and DVD writer sitting here. I was thinking if I could get a cheap Cpu/MB, I'd build a media center designed to run hulu and play DVDs.

Its stanard resolution 640x480, so its an extremely nonintense job. My atom powered netbook can do it at a higher resolution without lag (1024x768). I was toying with buying an old brisbane and motherboard for about $80, but wondered if there was anything better.

Will also be scouring ebay.

Even that is a bit overboard for just playing DVDs and Hulu (unless Hulu is a lot more system intensive than I thought!).

A few years ago, I was using a P3 @ 450mhz running Windows 98 and VLC to play back DVDs and DIVX files without any problems whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend doing that, just because it was a bit sluggish at everything else. A Sempron 3300+ in a laptop I have has absolutely no problem with any media thrown at it, however. If you can find a similar system (Pentium 4, Athlon, Sempron) for cheap, you should be fine.

That being said, those parts look as though they would work very well with hi-def media if you ever wanted to upgrade with a Blu-ray drive

Granted, faster processors are always better, and if you get a PCIE graphics card you can fold on it when you're not using it.

If you want something pretty cheap you might look into the Dell Optiplex GX series. While i don't usually ever recomend a pre-built desktop computer, you cant beat the price on these, around $120-150 for a P4 3.0ghz with 512 ram, 80gb hdd and a cd drive. and are usually really really quiet which is good for a media center

Been looking at some dell optliplexes. The prices amaze me. Ran into a few pentium 4s for under $50. I'm going to scour the techno underworld looking for one missing ram/hard drive/dvd drive for an even more discounted price seeing as I have boxes of those things. :D

My wife uses a Dell lappy w/ a 1.6 mobile P4 and a 5200 as a media center. The Brisbane ought to be plenty for that.

But a Brisbane AND mobo for $80? Why spend more when it will just be a media box?

Found this on pricewatch as well: "+getMessage("iPrintVerKit")+"

An x2 4800+ and motherboard for $69. The motherboard is crap, but the chip far exceeds my needs so the performance difference will be negligible, and if it does go out in 2-3 years it will have paid for itself easily.

Its down between this and a pentium 4 era optiplex.

I'd need to buy a psu and some DDR2 for the X2, which makes it cost a little more. Prolly could get both for under $50, bringing the total cost of the machine to $110 or so, as opposed to the optiplex which I can grab whole for $50. Gotta decide if the extra power, and reduced heat, are worth the extra cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom