VAIO LT 38E & Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default VAIO LT 38E & Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2

Hey Folks!

First post here!

I just got this all-in-one desktop and with the exception of no output connections, I really love this computer.

I have a HD LCD that I would very much like to extend my desktop to to watch HD movies on a larger screen.

I have researched video cards and wanted to see if the GeForce 9800 GX@ was compatible with my desktop. Of course, Sony support has offered no help at all. I've chatted with 4 different people and while they each shared different scenarios with me about adding an additional video card to the system, they all say they cannot offer third party advise. Basically, they can't say whether or not this is compatible with my system beyond saying they do not recommend adding or replacing the video card.

Any help from this community would be greatly appreciated. Am ready to offer up additional info as well if needed.

thanks much in advance folks!
peace

Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: VAIO LT 38E & Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2

The 9800GX2 requires these things:

a PCI-e x16 or higher Slot
a good brand 450w PSU

Knowing most companies that make PC's, they usually put a crappy PSU in there, that could create some issues

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

no because its an all in one, and there isn't a place to put a high profile card such as the gx2 in it. so you're stuck with what you've got.

i googled VAIO LT 38E and this was the first thing that came up. lol
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

When I googled that, the first result was this thread..
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

what i meant by this, was this thread. lol.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the fast replies guys!

This really sux! It's got all these great features and no output connections. I had to buy this USB external card thingy just to extend my desktop.

Any suggestions on a good external video card to extend or mirror the desktop to play on a 42 inch sony LCD? Right now have the only one I could find for 1680x1050 but it's USB.

thanks much folks!
peace
Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

anyone got a beat on a top of the line external card that has an HDMI output?

Closed Thread