Using a PSU separately

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
Is there a way to just plug in a PSU and run some fans, not in a case, and not connected to a mobo?

Thanks!

You can jumpstart the PSU by connecting the purple wire to the ground (either the shell of the PSU of one of the black wires).

I suggest looping the purple to the ground above the 24 pin connector (disconnecting the two wires from the connector) and attaching a small switch. That way you have about 8-10" freedom on the power switch. Of if you later on want to install this in a PC to run you cooling system, you can mount the switch to the back of the pc with out having to add an extension.

Or you can do what I do and shove a paperclip in the connector (I do this to run a bunch of fans and a 12 volt mini frige cooler inside my custom made xbox 360 cooling box).

IT IS THE GREEN ONE <- needed to make a point.

If the PSU is never going to be used for anything else, get a knife and cut all the wires off just above the 20/24 pin connector. Use electrical table and make sure no wires are showing apart from the green one and any black one. Get a switch and solder the green and black on it, and place this anywhere you want.

Not using a 360 PSU at all. On my PSU case, it clearly states that the purple wire is "PS ON".

Edit: I just checked the PSU in my Internet PC, and it states that the Green one is PS on. But I was not wrong, the PSU in my cooling box says that the purple is PS on.

My cheap chinese PSU says that the grey is PS on. But I just looked it up, and green and grey are standard for PS ON. I guess it's mostly brand specific. So make sure you check you PSU case for the colour code.

OK, I'm going to try a paperclip, since I don't want to ruin the PSU just yet.

Do you happen to have any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom