Using parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noEMO

Solid State Member
Okay, so I'm building a new computer, and to save money, I'm buying a new 250GB HD, but in my current Dell computer, it has a 40GB HD, could I use the 40GB HD from my Dell on the new computer which I'm building from scratch? Would it be compatible or does Dell have a way of preventing you from doing that?

Also, could I use the Floppy Drive from my Dell on my new comp I'm building, because newegg keeps going out of stock on all the cheap floppy's and to save money I'd rather not spend 20$ on a floppy drive. So can I use the Floppy drive from the dell on my new comp?

if that hard drive is ide you can use it on your new comp. as for the floppy i don't know? is it a regular floppy??? some dells use a peice of plastic, if its the range cable then you will propblaly have to use an ide port just make sure it has the floppy power connector and the floppy data cable and you're good to go

Should be able to reformat the dell harddrive without problem, as well as reuse the floppy, opticals. Most of the drives, cards, and memory, cpu are reusable, because they are NOT the proprietary junk items like case/psu/mobo. But sometimes SOME of the cards may need Dell drivers. I "have" modded psu's and cases to accept OEM mobo's before, but it can be a pain to try reuse of those...cannot reuse the XP discs UNLESS you got a non-branded regular MS disc.

I just tore about the dell, the floppy is an actual floppy drive with the ribbon connector and what not. The hard drive is also a normal hard drive with the ribon connector.

So I assume they'll be good for use?

yup then your good to go, i thought you had the floppy with the orange tape? that connects to the ide and has the power connector on it but your good to go, have fun i hate dell proprietary crap including their memory with the notches on the wrong side try to fit a dominator on a dell mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom