Using old HDD for new build - format it first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymsbrocks

Solid State Member
I am doing my first PC Build and want to use a WD 250G HDD from my old PC. This will be the sole HDD on the new build (at least for now). I have backed up everything i need to an external drive. Should i format it before removing it or wait until its in the new machine. I am thinking i should wipe it now as i would like to start fresh. Which way should i go?

Also, I am not too famliar with disk partitioning. I imagine i do it when i intall XP? any insight here? Thanks in advance!

i generally do not partition my drives because I use multiple drives with a wd raptor for my OS and and programs. Many people like to partition using one partition for the os and such and the other partition for data. this options makes reinstalls much easier. You can choose to partition in the xp setup. Something around 60gb should be fine fo the os with the other for data if that is what you want to do.

I also have a 40G maxtor laying around. would it be a good option to use it for the OS and programs and use the 250 for data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom