Using existing HDD in new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie072

Baseband Member
I'm building a new computer for my daughter and will be using the HDD out of her HP Pavillion, Sempron 2.0, which I advised her not to buy. My question is what kind of problems will I run into trying to set it up with a new MB, CPU, RAM and GPU card. It currently runs Windows 7, but she doesn't have a disk as the HDD is partitioned into a C: and D:, with the D: having the backup or restore capability. It does suggest making a restore disk, but won't that just put the same specs back on the HDD?

As times are tough right at the moment, I'm trying to do the build with a budget of a little over $400, which I believe will be closer to $500-$600 by the time I'm finished(buying a few parts when I can). I would also like a few suggestions on the MB and CPU which I'll be ordering this week.

MB:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A77T/USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
or
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX620WFGIBOX

Is the $20ish worth the difference in CPU?

Already have:

Case:
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

PS:
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

I'll post again for a GPU and RAM when I'm able to buy.

Thanks, ya'll have helped me greatly in the past when I built my computer.

odie072

Another question. Would windows 7 for system builders be a good solution for this build? It states the the "end user provides support". I'm not quite sure what that means. Will Microsoft provide major and regular updates?

Thanks

odie072

Microsoft will provide updates. But they will not give you support for any question you might have about the operation. That is why it is an OEM product. It is made for system builders like Dell, HP, Acer and so on. As they provide their own support. So if you have any issues with the software, you cant go to Microsoft for an answer. You will have to get it via 3rd party.

Add into that the software will be tied to that mother board. If you upgrade in the future you will not be able to use that serial again. It stays with that mother board and dies with that mother board. The limitation of buying OEM software.

Read more about it here.

To answer the questions from your first post, you cant use that copy of Win7. As it is tied to the Pavillion and dies with the Pavillion mother board. It is an OEM. So you will have to factor in an OS with your purchase cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom