Using 2 pc's to increase processor speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

noise

Beta member
I have 2 dell optiplex pc's with pent 4 - 2.8's. Is there a way to link the units so that I can use both pents in a "dual" processor environment. Basically, can I combine the power of the 2 pc's into one. If not, is it a big deal to remove the chip from one and add it to the other. Lastly, what is more important when trying to optmize my graphics capability,more processor speed or better graphics card - I know one caonnot function to capacity without the other, but is there a fulcrum point where speed becomes secondary to graphics card capability and vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

you can not easily "cluster" computers. there are ways of networking computers together to share workload but none of them are efficient enough or simple enough to be worth using between 2 P4s.

you can not add a second chip to either of the P4 systems.

there is a trade off between processor speed and gpu power. if the processor is not fast enough it will limit performance. it is generally considered though that more gpu power is desirable over cpu power for gaming.

Thats not really possible, you cant share general tasks, but most 3d applications give you an easy tool to do this when rendering a scene. Its pretty much as easy as hooking them up in a network.

of course you can build multi-processor systems! however you need the right hardware and standard old Pentium 4's don't cut it. they have no support for multi processing. support is required both on the processors being used and the board. i guess it could be done with some fancy bridge chips but this is just my undestanding of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom