USB 1.0 - Slow as ****!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaminohaka

Baseband Member
Well, I have an old HP computer with usb 1.0 (i think). It's at 1.8 ghz, 1 gb ddr1, and 9600 se. Does windows xp install drivers pasted on your hardware? Like would windows xp install drivers only for usb 1.0, or would it installed usb 2.0 drivers, and my hardware can still use the drivers for usb 2.0 but just slower? I am not sure if i have usb 1.0 or 2.0, thats why i am asking this question. And also, I have pci card with usbs, too. So is it a motherboard or hardware or drivers problem???

Windows should have the drives for usb 1 and 2. It will most likely install for what is on your MB. If you have a PCI USB 2.0 card, (I have one as well), Then you should install the drivers that came with it. The best way to check what usb2.0 ports you have, is to plug a USB2.0 device into one, if windows says it can perform faster, then its running at 1.0. (i.e. I have a Thinkpad A22m, which has 1.0 USB on it. I plug in my flash drive, and windows says it can perform faster. The laptop only has 1.0, so it really can't perform faster, but I still can tell that its 1.0).

poopy, i got that message too. So, does that mean i have usb 1.0? Even my pci card?? Does most pci come with cds? beccause i didn't install any drivers for my pci card, but it works without any cd.

serv.pack 2 includes usb 2.0 drivers. Otherwise, you'll need any drivers that the pci card may have.

Did you buy the computer or build it yourself? did you put the USB PCI expansion in or have it com with computer? The box should tell you if they should be USB2.0 or not. Unless they are really old, then probably 2.0.

Also, if you know the model/maker, go to their website and look for drivers.

Everest can tell you if you have USB 1.1 or 2.0.

Load everest, click devices in the menu tree, then windows devices, in the main windows, scroll to the bottom and open the Universal Serial Buss Controllers device. look through the stuff in there. I have one that says
"PCI Device" for field and "nVIDIA MCP2-S - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller" for value. some of the others I have say USB 1.1 Controller.

Did you buy the computer or build it yourself? did you put the USB PCI expansion in or have it com with computer? The box should tell you if they should be USB2.0 or not. Unless they are really old, then probably 2.0.

Also, if you know the model/maker, go to their website and look for drivers.

Everest can tell you if you have USB 1.1 or 2.0.

Load everest, click devices in the menu tree, then windows devices, in the main windows, scroll to the bottom and open the Universal Serial Buss Controllers device. look through the stuff in there. I have one that says
"PCI Device" for field and "nVIDIA MCP2-S - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller" for value. some of the others I have say USB 1.1 Controller.

Well, I have an old HP computer...

But but, even though i didn't make it, i rebuilt it. I gave it a new case, new ram, new video card, new power supply and new hard drives. The only thing i didn't touch was the processor and the motherboard. Oh, and new sound card too. :p I've had this computer for a long time. Maybe 5 years, or more. But i know that the HP computer didn't come with the pci usb card. But theres no way in the world that i could even remember when i got that pci usb card from. It might be semi new or really old that i just got from a lan party or something.

Yea even though its a PCI USB card it could very well be the older ports..I have a lot of those older PCI USB cards. If it was 2.0 it would run natively at that speed and not prompt you that it could ran faster if you had 2.0 yadda yadda. You can a 2.0 card really cheap now..I would invest in one if you plan to use them often..really worth it. So long as you have XP SP1 then you have the 2.0 drivers.

i just got an external hard drive, it's either usb or esata. If you guessed, I don't have esata in my old hp :p so yea, maybe i need a new pci usb card. thanks all. ^_,^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom