UPS Battery Back-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a battery back up unit. I just want something that in the event of a power failure will shut down my system within like a minute.
I'm currently looking at the 875VA model "Geek Squad" at Best Buy.

BestBuy.com - Search Results

A couple questions.

1. Do I have to use the software if running XP Pro? As I said above, I mainly want to use software to auto shut the system down if power goes out. I leave my PC on 24/7 and I'm not home a good deal of that time to manually shut it down.
2. Is this a decent unit? I only plan to plug the PC into the battery back up portion. E6750, 2GB, 8800GTS, 2 HDD's, Antec 650 True power Trio, Audigy 2ZS.

Any help is appreciated. I read the software for the above unit eats up memory so I prefer not to use it at all.

I'd much rather go with APC than anything Geek Squad has rebranded for BBY. In my experience, APC is the highest quality, everything is tested before it leaves the factory (you'll find a manual test sheet taped to the unit when you first open it), and it provides the best insurance coverage for your products. ALso, the software only takes up a small amount of memory if I remember correctly. Shouldn't be more than a few mb.

I just picked up a 750Va from best buy on saturday. The tag said 92 but it rang up 54. I was happy. Its an APC btw.

I ended up picking up the 875va. It says it's made by APC but unlike the APC model of the same specs this one has the digital display. I was told I could return it if I don't like it, even if it was opened so I'll check it out. I was hesitant to buy it but now that I see it is made by APC it can't be that bad, can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom