Uprgading/Replacing a processor and fan - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Uprgading/Replacing a processor and fan

Firstly, Hello

Im wanting to upgrade my current processor - P4 2.8 ghz to a recently purchased Pentium D 3.4 ghz.
However, im having troubles removing the old processor. i can easily detach the fan by unscrewing it, except the power cable seems 'stuck' to the mobo, it may just need some force. But i cant seem to remove the main part (sorry i have no idea whats it called. lots of metal things protacting the processor)
This is what it looks like:

And the new processor and fan:

Help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

the metal part is called the heatsink. you have to make sure its unlatched from the motherboard... i can't tell the particular mechanism of your heatsink... but look around to unhinge or unlatch or unclasp something to loosen the heatsink from the motherboard. after that, slightly twist from side to side to break the heat pad. then just move right up. you may need to use force.. but not TOO much force, as its possible that your old cpu will come right off with your heatsink and get bent pins etc etc

"Is virtue a thing remote? I wish to be virtuous, and lo! Virtue is at hand." -Confucius
Old 09-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

It looks like you got the wrong socket. The one you have looks like 478 and you got a LGA 775.

You need to undo the clips (push and try to unlatch). If it was attached with thermal adhesive you will need to heat it up with a blow dryer to remove it.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Sorry to agree with turtile, but I think you did get LGA 775. It's easy to get them confused since 478 and 775 mobo's use the same kind of processors. Also, just remove the two metal clasps by pinching the bent part on the left, then remove the heatsink/fan. The fan will be attaced via a three or four prong power cable to the mobo, but all you need to do is pull that out.
Current Build (Hope to finish by late spring):
Intel Q6600 g0
Asus Maximus Formula
geIL Evo 2GB (2x1gb) DDR2
ATI HD3870 X2 or Nvidia 9800 X2?
2x 150gb RaptorX (Have it)
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w PSU (Have it)
Antec P182 Case
HP w2207 22" Monitor (Have it)
Closed Thread