Uprgading/Replacing a processor and fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefito

Beta member
Firstly, Hello

Im wanting to upgrade my current processor - P4 2.8 ghz to a recently purchased Pentium D 3.4 ghz.
However, im having troubles removing the old processor. i can easily detach the fan by unscrewing it, except the power cable seems 'stuck' to the mobo, it may just need some force. But i cant seem to remove the main part (sorry i have no idea whats it called. lots of metal things protacting the processor)
This is what it looks like:
processorold.jpg

And the new processor and fan:
processornew.jpg

Help is greatly appreciated.

the metal part is called the heatsink. you have to make sure its unlatched from the motherboard... i can't tell the particular mechanism of your heatsink... but look around to unhinge or unlatch or unclasp something to loosen the heatsink from the motherboard. after that, slightly twist from side to side to break the heat pad. then just move right up. you may need to use force.. but not TOO much force, as its possible that your old cpu will come right off with your heatsink and get bent pins etc etc

gl

It looks like you got the wrong socket. The one you have looks like 478 and you got a LGA 775.

You need to undo the clips (push and try to unlatch). If it was attached with thermal adhesive you will need to heat it up with a blow dryer to remove it.

Sorry to agree with turtile, but I think you did get LGA 775. It's easy to get them confused since 478 and 775 mobo's use the same kind of processors. Also, just remove the two metal clasps by pinching the bent part on the left, then remove the heatsink/fan. The fan will be attaced via a three or four prong power cable to the mobo, but all you need to do is pull that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom