Upgtaded Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerlover77

Beta member
I just replaced my ASUS a8n32 sli deluxe motherboard with Biostar A780L3L. I used my same 1 tb hd. I have windows 7 Pro. Should I have done a clean install? My computer is running slow. Not sure what my problem is.

Yes. You need to format and reinstall Windows 7. I am amazed that Windows booted up at all.

But why is that? I thought it would work just fine. I have built 4 computers, no problems. First time upgrading motherboard with same hd. Thanks foryou patience.

When you install Windows, it sets itself up to run on your current hardware. Add in specific drivers and you have a Windows installation that will only work (well) on that setup. That's a simplified explanation but it gives the gist of the matter.

When you moved the hard drive to a different motherboard, you completely changed the hardware (as far as Windows is concerned). This is why I am amazed it even booted or is not throwing constant blue screens.

XP would allow you to perform a repair installation that reacquainted XP with your hardware. This would reassign Windows to work with what was there regardless of what was there before (most of the time). Vista and 7 do not have this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom