Upgrading Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerheim

Solid State Member
Hi im wanting to put in a PCI-E X16 video card into my SR5010NX. Im wanting to play world of warcraft on it, i've put 2GB's of ram into it, but i cant figure out what kind of graphics card i could put into it. I dont understand all the 128 bit, 64 bit, GDDR2 and what not. So im hoping someone can help me find a card that will get the job done, and also i only have 250 watts of power supply.

Probably look into an 8600gt, its probably the best you can get with a low-end PSU (I'm assuming its a crappy brand name PSU though)

And its powerful enough for WoW

Your biggest problem will be you PSU. Since you are running integrated graphics, almost anything will be a big step up.

The main things to know about GFX cards are the interface (PCI, AGP, PCI-E), the wattage it needs, and whether or not it uses the memory of your computer (yes, some use both its own memory and your systems, but only low end cards would have this).

128 bit, 64 bit, whatever bit, is the speed at which the card communicates with your motherboard. The higher the number the better, but with you running a 3.56 Celly it won't make a big difference to you.

GDDR2, GDDR3, DDR2 DDR, are all the types of RAM used on the cards. This is completely independent of what you system uses, so it doesn't matter if they are the same. DDR < DDR2 < GDDR2 < GDDR3 etc.

This would work:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR V8402GL26 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This might, but I'm not sure about its power requirements:
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH2400PRO/HTP/256M Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

8600GT calls for 300W+.

Your biggest problem will be you PSU. Since you are running integrated graphics, almost anything will be a big step up.

The main things to know about GFX cards are the interface (PCI, AGP, PCI-E), the wattage it needs, and whether or not it uses the memory of your computer (yes, some use both its own memory and your systems, but only low end cards would have this).

128 bit, 64 bit, whatever bit, is the speed at which the card communicates with your motherboard. The higher the number the better, but with you running a 3.56 Celly it won't make a big difference to you.

GDDR2, GDDR3, DDR2 DDR, are all the types of RAM used on the cards. This is completely independent of what you system uses, so it doesn't matter if they are the same. DDR < DDR2 < GDDR2 < GDDR3 etc.

This would work:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR V8402GL26 GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This might, but I'm not sure about its power requirements:
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH2400PRO/HTP/256M Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

8600GT calls for 300W+.

The first link you posted, will that work even though it says 64-bit? just making sure because my computer is only a 32 bit.

Thats the bandwidth of the Video Card, it has nothing to do with the OS type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom