Upgrading System. Would it be worth it?

azi90

Solid State Member
I have a pretty old rig with amd athlon x2 6000 and 512 mb 9800gt 6 gb DDR2 ram.

That stuff doesnt play games anymore lol.

I was thinking of upgrading the processor to AMD Phenom II X4 955 Socket AM3 (3.2Ghz) CPU,

and graphic card to
EVGA 01G-P4-2753-KR GeForce GTX 750 Superclocked 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

The Whole thing would be about 450$. question is would it be good for games? Im not looking for HD hardcore extreme gaming. Looking for playable gaming with good graphics.

going for any other processor than AM3 socket is too much cost for me. that would be like getting whole brand new computer( new MB, new ram, new processor)
so now is it worth 450$? yes or no? good for gaming ? do you guys still think going with am3+ processor is a better idea(upgrading to am3+ processor would cost 6-700$)

Are you upgrading a personally built PC or is this a Dell,Hp, or some other pre-built? The CPU ( Phenom) will handle all games to date reasonably. The new GPU is weak-but not bad - should be able to play medium graphics on a normal monitor or better -depending on the game. Do you have a good enough PSU? Many older PC's have very iffy PSU's.

Or

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287 =$120 with shipping

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202050= $235 with shipping

total=$355.

Leaving enough to purchase a decent PSU ( if necessary). Newegg Ca did not have the Phenom II CPU listed.

Last edited:
Why is it going to cost 450 bucks to do this? You could get a 750ti and a Pentium G3258, H81 board, and 8GB of DDR3 for close to that cost.

Its personal built. And i have good psu. Corsair 750watts. I can probably try to spend a bit more on gpu but just thinkng Ram is ddr2. Not sure if that will affect it much

Are you upgrading a personally built PC or is this a Dell,Hp, or some other pre-built? The CPU ( Phenom) will handle all games to date reasonably. The new GPU is weak-but not bad - should be able to play medium graphics on a normal monitor or better -depending on the game. Do you have a good enough PSU? Many older PC's have very iffy PSU's.

Or

AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Desktop Processor FD4300WMHKBOX - Newegg.ca =$120 with shipping

Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! $235 with shipping

total=$355.

Leaving enough to purchase a decent PSU ( if necessary). Newegg Ca did not have the Phenom II CPU listed.
Processor that u posted i cant put that on my mb. Coz its am3+ ill have to biy new mb and ram to go with

Didn't quite answer my question. A 955BE is only worth like 50 bucks these days, and a 750 is like 100 bucks if that. Why is it going to cost you 450 for these parts? The parts I listed off would overhaul your machine AND give you more graphical horsepower for about the same cost.

Didn't quite answer my question. A 955BE is only worth like 50 bucks these days, and a 750 is like 100 bucks if that. Why is it going to cost you 450 for these parts? The parts I listed off would overhaul your machine AND give you more graphical horsepower for about the same cost.
i cant find 955BE for 50 bucks anywhere i canada. Do u know here i can get it ? i only found one site that has it for 170$

Last edited:
Ebay or used. They aren't worth getting new. Like I said, if you're willing to spend that kind of money you could seriously update your whole platform.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374
ASUS H81M-K LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.ca
Team Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TXD38192M1600HC9DC-D - Newegg.ca
MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.ca

Would perform better than the 955be and the video card is a lot better too. Oh and it's less than 400 dollars.

Intel Pentium G3258 is a 3.2ghz dual core processor. Hows that more powerful than 3.4 Ghz QUAD core processor ..

Back
Top Bottom