upgrading to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroudt

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I'm thinking I should finally make the jump into SSD.

right now I'm looking at the OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB, mostly because I have found it for $99.99 CA after a $30 mail in rebate.

I have also been looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, and that I have found priced at $149.99 CA after $30 mail in rebate.

keep in mind I have never run SSD. I am also still running on SATA 2, but in the nearish future plan to upgrade to an AM3+ board so that I can also upgrade to an 8 core CPU.

am I really going to notice much of a difference in speed?

I mostly just play BF3 right now and also run Photoshop CS5 for my photo editing. Other then those couple things, it's just minor, light load usage on my PC. Probably the next highest resource requiring thing I do is watching HD movies.

Oh, I'm also willing to look at other options. I really don't know much about these drives, so any help would be great.

SSD's are a little better than an HDD from my experience. Since they are essentually flash memory (kinda) they work really fast and relatively well. As far as I have seen the bad things about them are heat and probably easy to break.

With no laser, reading an SSD is like reading anything else in the BUS ports as far as I have seen. See if you can find a cheap one that's like 2 GB and try it in a laptop and see if you like it.

Heat? With a SSD? Break a SSD? Read like a BUS port?

I don't know where you get your info, dude, but you better get your money back. SSD's have no moving parts to break, stay cool, and are way faster than platter HDDs.

That Vertex 3 looks sweet, Scroudt. You will not regret making the upgrade to one. Just make sure to put all but your main programs on a different drive as well as your data and storage. Check out the http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/ for how to properly set a SSD up.

Heat? With a SSD? Break a SSD? Read like a BUS port?

I don't know where you get your info, dude, but you better get your money back. SSD's have no moving parts to break, stay cool, and are way faster than platter HDDs.

That Vertex 3 looks sweet, Scroudt. You will not regret making the upgrade to one. Just make sure to put all but your main programs on a different drive as well as your data and storage. Check out the http://www.techist.com/forums/f128/ssd-tweak-guide-236563/ for how to properly set a SSD up.

so what you're saying is, install windows on the SSD, and install say.....BF3 and Photoshop and a secondary HD? right now I have a 500 gig HD, and two 1 tarabit HDs. what I want to do it replace the 500, but keep two 1tb hard drives for music, video and photos.

My setup is a 60GB SSD, a 250GB (programs), a 750GB (data), and a 1TB (media storage). I have Win7, Origin/BF3, and my startup programs (my docks, widgets, CCLeaner, etc) on my SSD. All other programs are on my 250GB. I have found this to actually be a really nice setup, at least for me.

I have an SSD and I run 75% of my programs off my 500GB HDD. You're not going to lose space fast on the 500GB.

I have a 60GB on here, 20GB Free

And also have a 30GB on my Linux rig that is about 50% full.

See, that's on thing I was wondering about...Even a 120gig these days is nothing for storage. So for this 120 gig SSD I should install windows, Photoshop, and BF3 on it. Then everything else like Microsoft Office and such, I'll keep my 500gig HDD for that, then Keep my two 1TB drives for my media and photos?

That makes lots of sense, I was wondering how people in this day and age were getting away with 60 gig hard drives.

you can probably tell, I'm a little out of the loop with computers, was never really in too deep, but things are slipping. :confused:

I wouldn't bother putting BF3 on the SSD, you probably won't see enough of an improvement to justify the space it takes up.

I generally keep Office on the SSD since it doesn't use a lot of space and launches much faster.

Other than that you seem to have a perfect plan for dividing things up.

I usually am in maps before most everyone else. ;)

True, although I am usually one of the first ones in too and I have BF3 on my mechanical drive. I've got more than enough free space on my apps SSD for BF3 but I can't bring myself to part with that much space for a single program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom