Upgrading SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja4621

Solid State Member
I've maxed out my hard drive so I've purchased another

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB

Is it just a matter of plugging it into a spare sata port on my mobo and switching on my pc, will it recognise it and set it up as a seperate drive in windows or do i need to do anything.

Cheers

no.... it will recognize it automatically, only way u need to format it is to RAID it but i doubt ur doing that....

i believe you have to format the drive inorder to use it. windows will recognize it but you won't be able to use the drive.

i read somewhere that some hidden windows file has to be written on the drive to be to able to use it..

cheers for the feedback, im not putting it in raid so was hoping to just plug and play, so to speak. Im not putting it in till tomorrow so I'll get back to you all. Does anyone else know whether I have to put a file in there in order for it to work? :)

cheers for the feedback, im not putting it in raid so was hoping to just plug and play, so to speak. Im not putting it in till tomorrow so I'll get back to you all. Does anyone else know whether I have to put a file in there in order for it to work? :)

if you format the drive in the OS the files are written on the HD automatically. like what fastrandstrongr said

NTFS is just a way of formatting the Hard Drive. wikipedia it if you're really interested. Other filesystems are Fat32 and Fat16. All you really need to know is that when you format, choose NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom