Upgrading rig have question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceswingz

Solid State Member
Hi, I just have a quick question that I need helping with.

I built my computer about 4 years ago and have been doing upgrades to it ever since and I've decided to replace the motherboard, processor, memory, and video card and I have a question about my hard drive.

If I was to buy a new hard drive could I slave my previous drive? The only thing that worries me is my old drive will have an OS on it, and I worry about conflicting.

Links to new parts:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - XFX PVT84GUDD3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Btw this rig is build for the intent of gaming.

get the processor instead
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
i wouldn't get that mobo unless you want matrix RAID 5 and SLI which i wouldn't recommend if your a gamer
this is a better one
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
and that RAM is a ripoff, you can buy DDR2 800mhz RAM that can overclock to that speed for half the price
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

and with the money you saved on the MOBO and RAM
you can get this
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
which blows the current one you have selected away

Don't worry there should be no issues with slaving the old hd as long as both hd's are using the same kind of connectors, ie sata or ide. Ive has trouble getting a sata master and an ide slave drive. but to answer your question having an os on a slave will cause no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom