Upgrading the RAM on my Laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
Just bought a "Dell Inspiron 6000" and it came with everything I asked except for the RAM which I knew I was going to have to buy a better set. Currently in it is 2x 256mb sticks, I took the back panel off to check. (BTW is there a program to check what your running as far as ram, and there type and speed?) Anyway, I do not know the speed, the pin, or whether or not it is dual channel. I don't know if there is a program or what. Anyway, I would like to up this to 1gb, or even better 2gb, Dual Channel or not don't care. I have a budget of about 125$ but if I was going to go with the 2gb, I could go maybe close to 200$, if its really worth it for a laptop I don't know. Basically, I want to know some links to what to purchase. I would like to order soon. So some input would be awesome. Thanks dudes.

-AuTh

2 Gigs on a laptop probably isn't worth it. 2 Gigs is used for rendering, creation, real high quality games, etc. As far as finding out what type of RAM you need, go to dell.com and search for your laptop's name with specs. after it. you should find it there. Probably be able to get 2 x 512 in there. Your budget should be fine.

Ok, no "SPECIFIC" Brand though that anyone would recommend. On my OLD Desktop that I recently sold I had dual channel OCZ and it rocked. But I dunno if they make laptop memory or what. I've been looking on newegg but most reviews are the same on every brand/type so I was coming to the users (here) for there input. Thanks

When your laptop boots up hit whatever key is specified to enter the BIOS. In there it should list what speed your RAM is and all that fun stuff.

Laptop RAM really isn't a hot topic since laptops aren't generally used for high performance tasks like desktops. I'd just get whatever seems to fit the budget personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom