Upgrading RAM from 2gb > 4gb and mobo compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayzolight

Baseband Member
hello! new to the forums here.

i'm looking for some guidance in upgrading my RAM from 2gb to 4gb. i'm of mild technical knowledge. built my machine with the help of a friend.

i have the following Gigabyte board : Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

since i built it, i've been using the following RAM with no issues at all: Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

my RAM now is DDR2 800 (2x1gb). i think my mobo can handle DDR2 1066. one question i have is is there a noticeable difference between 800 - 1060?

the list of "approved RAM" on Gigabytes web site is meager. there is only one 2gb stick listed.

what i'm looking for is suggestions on what would be a relatively safe bet for me to upgrade from what i have (2x1gb) to (2x2gb) what do i need to take into consideration?

i do intend on pulling the old ram, just to clarify that.

thanks in advance!!!

--------------------
• Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
• GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
• EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (512-P3-N971-TR)
• Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
• HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
• Seagate Barracuda – 320gb – 7200rpm – 16mb cache

Heya and welcome :)

There is no noticeable difference although overclocking is a bit better on 1060 ram. The approved list generally don't matter ram is standardised so should fit in any mobo. Your links are broken ;). why pull the old ram when its perfectly good i would just buy the same again so that you have 4x1gb or 2x dual channel sets it puts a bit of pressure on the northbridge but nothing to worry about. You need a 64bit operating system to run more then 3gb of ram

Heya and welcome :)

There is no noticeable difference although overclocking is a bit better on 1060 ram. The approved list generally don't matter ram is standardised so should fit in any mobo. Your links are broken ;). why pull the old ram when its perfectly good i would just buy the same again so that you have 4x1gb or 2x dual channel sets it puts a bit of pressure on the northbridge but nothing to worry about. You need a 64bit operating system to run more then 3gb of ram

thank you! the ram i have now is not available anymore :( i'm pretty set on pulling them a going 2x2gb.

here are the links: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

thanks alot salty. those look nice. i was also considering these : Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

but i noticed in the reviews of the set you mentioned, someone is using them with the same mobo as i with success.

thanks again!

The pi blacks are supposedly best in class in terms of price/performance so I would get those. The ones you linked to are good although the brand is a little unknown so may or not be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom