Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like your motherboard can support up to 4Gigs, so you should be able to go with the 2 gig kit you were looking at to begin with. That way both sets will be running in dual channel.

Nope, because Windows Media Center is only limited to 2GB the rest is a waste, as discovered in previous posts. So I am just looking at that 1GB ram slot or do I need to have x2 512mb so it runs in dual or something? Wich is best?

Thanks

Ok thanks for this does everone approve of theses

1GB kit (512MBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 upgrades for Dell Dimension 9150 Desktop/PC, CT482753 from Crucial.com

So I will have 2GB

2 x 512mb PC2-4100
2 x 512mb PC2-6400

So will this work without overclocking or anything just simple install and see a difference? Thanks

The new PC2-6400 RAM will automatically slow down to match the PC2-4100 RAM, so it's a waste of money. The only solution would be to overclock the old RAM (ie, make all sticks run at PC2-6400 speed), but I doubt it will overclock that far.

You'll have to get PC2-4100 RAM if you want to be on the safe side.

That RAM ill be fine. PC2-4100, 4200 and 4300 are pretty much the same thing; they're designed to function at 533Mhz (DDR). The actual number differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.

It does seem to be your best option. I'd go for it. You'll see a remarkable increase in performance with 2GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom