Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCase

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm currently using Windows Media Center, I have 1GB DDR2 currently. I'm looking to upgrade to 3 GB by adding another 2 GB. Is it possible to have 3GB, I think the max windows media center supports is 3GB as Windows Media Center only supports 3GB or is it 2GB?

I'm a heavy gamer and I was looking to get this:
2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Dell Dimension 9150 Desktop/PC, CT482733 from Crucial.com

So I was wondering is the max that Windows Media can take is it 2 or 3GB if it's 3GB then I will be looking to get that link above ... I'm not to sure if I can mix and match though that RAM is different to the ram I current got It's a slightly better and faster RAM so can I mix and match?

Hope this makes sence. Thanks

If you get 3gb of ram, then you won't be able to run the ram in dual channel. 2x1gb will give you dual channel, and will be faster than 3 sticks of 1gb ram.

Adding more RAM will make your computer faster. Is the RAM you have right now two sticks of 512 or just a single one gig stick? If you have a single one gig stick to get the most out of dual channel you should try and get the same model that is already in there. If you already have a pair in there, you could get another pair, like you were thinking to begin with.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have 1GB currently made up of x2 512mb using 2 of my slots, leaving me with 2 spare. Which is the best solution to go to? Thanks

If you get 3gb of ram, then you won't be able to run the ram in dual channel. 2x1gb will give you dual channel, and will be faster than 3 sticks of 1gb ram.

No, no, no! It is possible to run 3GB on dual channel. People, dual channel is a very simple thing: instead of having one communication channel between the RAM and the CPU, you have two. It just doubles the bandwidth of the communication bus. There's no mystical power associated with it.

In theory, as long as you have memory modules on both channels, they will "work in dual channel". In practice, because of the way this dual channel bus is implemented, some motherboards will have compatibility issues when using different types of RAM modules. That's why it's recommended to use matched pairs. Mixing modules with different speeds will of course force all modules to run at the speed of the slowest one.

Also, by NO MEANS whatsoever will 3GB be worse than 2GB, dual-channel or not. It's been proven that dual-channel offers at best a 5% increase in performance. Even if the full 3GB are never used, having a lot of physical memory lowers the amount of virtual memory used by Windows, and that improves performance. Dual channel is almost a marketing trick. So stop mystifying it.

Thanks for the reply. I have 1GB currently made up of x2 512mb using 2 of my slots, leaving me with 2 spare. Which is the best solution to go to? Thanks

At the present time, 2GB of RAM is more than enough. But having 3GB doesn't hurt either. So what I'd do is get the 2x1GB kit, and try to install it with the already existing memory. I'd go with 1x512MB + 1x1GB in each channel. Be sure the RAM you're getting runs at the same speed as the RAM you already have; otherwise, you'll be wasting money.

Now, there's a chance it won't work, due to motherboard compatibility issues. You should check your manual; some manufacturers include a table describing how the memory banks can be filled. If it won't work, then take out the 2x512MB and try to sell them.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I have x2 512mb DDR2 PC2-4100. So I need to get x2 1gb of pc2-4100?

Thanks

yep any faster ram will just get turn down back 4100 to match with the slower one.

However you can oc the 4100 and unclock any faster ram to matching speeds. but remember, having more memory doesn't help, having enough memory helps. If the max amount of memory you see in system task is 2gb and u got 3gb, you wasted 1gb ($100). So basically you spent an uneccary $100 but if you do need more then go for it.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I have x2 512mb DDR2 PC2-4100. So I need to get x2 1gb of pc2-4100?

Thanks

I upgraded my Dell Poweredge 400SC from 2x512mb to 4x512mb so a total of 2GB and it works great. I think you will get to a point where extra memory is not needed and you will be throwing you money away. I would go for 2GB first, try it out and if you are not satisfied then buy another 1GB to get to 3GB total :)

Hope this helps!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom