upgrading question: MAINBOARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

yma8

Beta member
Hi there.

I'm really noobish when it comes to computer hardwares so i tried to ask advice from computer shop people but everyone gave me contradicting advices.

Firstly, let me post my system information

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
Speed : 2.00GHz
Performance Rating : PR2200 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 8kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 4-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector
L2 On-board Cache : 128kB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 2-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

Mainboard
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support : No
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
System : VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266A-8235
Mainboard : P4M266A-8235
Total Memory : 640MB DDR-SDRAM

I don't really have a clue what the above information means. But people told me that:

A: The mainboard is designed for Celeron CPU, with socket 478.
B: If i want to get a P4 or AMD, i have to get a new board as well.
C: Some guy told me to get DDR2 ram but i think he's ********ting me.
D: Another guy told me to get new graphic card as well because if i get new board, it won't support my current card. -_-

After all the confusions and listening to all the salesmen lying their guts to me. I got the picture that i really do have to get a new board in order to get a new CPU.

My question is:
A: is the picture i've painted my self correct?
B: i want to get a AMD CPU if possible. Which one should i get? and would my current board support it? or do i have to get another one.
C: what kind of performance boost am i expecting?

i don't intend this computer to be ultra- gaming machine. but i hope it would run at least World of Warcraft and guildwar properly.

thx for any help.

If you get AMD you have to get a new mobo. If you get a new mobo, then MORE THAN LIKELY you will have to get a new video card... and probalby new ram as well... so couple of questions:

What do you want this machine for besides gaming? Office work? media work? image rendering? video coding? etc??

Do you want ot build or buy a machine?

What's your budget?

Your best bet IMO is to get a new machine. Period. Pretty much everything out no-a-days is newer than what you have now.

Well. I'm a modest gamer. I don't play all the new and cool stuff that comes out. i mainly just play a bit of starcraft, war3 and i wanted to upgrade so i can play guildwars. i don't do any media work or image rendering.
i have a linux OS installed for programming. But besides that, i don't use it that much :)

i know i have to upgrade heavly to catch up but i want to buy as little as possible :/ sounds kinda stupid huh lol

what CPU and board do u sugguest? i would like ones that don't use DDR2. besides that, i have no complaints. i want to spend

something like $400 AUD (which cound be something like $320 USD or less)or less.

thx for ur help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom