Upgrading the processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ougrad02

Solid State Member
I currently have an hp d4100y desktop with a pentium D processor. I am curious if its possible for me to purchase a core 2 duo processor and swap it in, in place of the pentium D. I'm just curious as to whether the motherboard I have is compatible with the core 2 processor and if it would just be a situation of drop it in and go. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Jeff

According to the HP website:

Socket: 775
Supports Pentium D (Smithfield) up to 3.2 GHz and Pentium4 (Prescott) up to 580 and 670

According to the socket type, you should be able to do an upgrade to a core 2 processor, but their website is slightly confusing. Try calling HP and find out! =)

Also, if you do an upgrade, you may require a reformat and reinstall of windows just to ensure nothing is affected in a wrong way when you make the upgrade.

Doubtful. Your motherboard has a Intel 945P chipset. While some 945P mobos on NewEgg support C2D, many don't. The only BIOS update listed for your model does not mention C2D, only "newer Intel Processors." Since it is dated May '06, i doubt it includes C2D.

A call to HP should clear it up, thoguh.

Agreed with Trotter, it is unlikely that any company would allow support for a stepped up processor, because that would be more expensive in the manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom