Upgrading PC for light gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3igi3lade

Baseband Member
I have a 2004-ish Compaq and instead of buying a new gaming PC I just wanted to upgrade this one since I won't be on it much in a few years because of college. I'll post the specs but I can't find which ones to post. I'm looking at the system information window(XP)

Ok well I couldn't find it, but I think I can piece the parts together.

Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.188 Mhz
Video card: PCI NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT
The hard drive is just a 160GB one (Can't find the rest of it)
Has 512mb of ram (I know, not much)

I just need to upgrade the processor and add ram, correct? Or does is need a need harddrive, or would it be better to get a whole new computer.

All I'm gonna be playing is Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and maybe some RPGs (not anything that needs high specs)

Your systems getting old for games, and they now demand both gpu and cpu power....

The better thing might be to set a budget, then see what can be made for that price.

You can recycle older parts... dvd/harddrives, posibly case and psu and then update them if cash is low.

^ I agree... I think that Athlon is a 939 pin. I had one before, but I think I sold the board/cpu to Trotter. It was a AMD Athlon X2 4200. It wasn't the greatest and would constantly freeze up when using photoshop. The RAM might be regular DDR or DDR2. You'd have to take a look at the numbers on the RAM sticks to get an idea of what's in there.

If you upgrade the CPU, the PSU might not like it, not to mention if you add in a better GPU. Not going to be enough power. Check the Newegg "Do It Yourself" deal section.

Just to give you an idea of the package deals. I'm picking AMD to help keep your costs down. You can pick up an ATi 4870 for dirt cheap these days and that card can take a LOT as far as gaming.

$385
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

$216
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

2004 = s939 = dead socket and DDR. Sorry, mate, but there's not much you can do with it. patonb is right on the money. Actually, you could pick up a $200 computer at Walmart that would run rings around your current rig.

Give us your budget and we'll see what we can do. Since you will be coming from way back yonder to today, even a mid-range dual core will be blazing fast for you.

^ Yeah.. the Phenom 9950 change from my x2 4200 was like going from a moped to a Ferarri.. :D :D The newer dual cores are crazy. My buddy's C2D Laptop was surprisingly responsive. Could have been a number of things though.

I went from the same CPU (Athlon 64 x2 4200) to a Phenom II x4 965. Gigantic difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom