Upgrading PC Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaesarLike

Beta member
Hi there,

So its like this see,

I am looking to upgrade my P4 3.0 PC, to a Core 2 Duo.
This is my current setup:

XP Pro (No Vista for me! Not yet at least - maybe when it actually works properly......?)

CPU:
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-8I915P Pro

Memory:
1 GB DDR

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce 7600 GT

Case:
Thermaltake "Armor" with 430 Watt PSU

HardDrives:
2 X 100mb SATA II dirives.

I am looking at upgrading the Mobo, CPU, and memory. Below are my current selections.

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 CPU 2X1Mb; Dual Core EMT64T 2.13G 1066Mhz FSB; Allendale; LGA775

MOBO:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview

OR

Asus P5B Deluxe
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Currently I am leaning towards the ASUS Mobo.

As for memory, I am yet to make any selections until I finally select a mobo. Any suggestions for memory would be appreciated.

What I am looking at doing is building a good to high performance machine that can be upgraded to a quad processor in the future when i need it.

**So my current plan is to replace the existing Motherboard, CPU, and memory with new components.
**Leave the rest as is for now.
**Use the replaced components as the basis for a new additional PC. I intend to get a new case and use the P4 as a game server.

So, what I would like to know is, does anyone have any thoughts on my selections? Any advice or suggestions?

I really hope the harddrive thing is a typo, coz dude!
The G. Skill RAM is pretty much some of the best RAM available, and like
b1gapl says its great for overclocking.

lol..of course the hard drives a typo. Theres no such thing as a 100mb SATA II hard drive.

Thanks very much for the advice guys.

The MSI board looks great. I see on Newegg the reviews for the MSI are far better than the Asus P5B Deluxe. The Asus seems to have many "issues", particularly on its first bootup. And its JMicron controller sounds like a right ***** to have to tackle. As this would be the first board I have installed from scratch, the MSI is looking very good, given its allround positive reviews.

But I do have a question about the MSI board. Like the Asus and Gigabyte boards, it is SLI ready. However, I don't intend to use more than the one GPU card, so should I really be looking at these types of boards, or are there other versions just as good for single GPU use. I mean, its no biggie, I'm just wondering is all.

I also like the mem you mentioned. As Im in Australia, both the mem and Mobo are priced at around $280 each, so may have to look at mem costing a bit less. Everything in this country costs more than in the US :(

As for the 100MB SATA drives - well, what can I say. I brought them off a travelling vacuume cleaner salesman from Afganistan, who assured me, with hand on heart, that they were once owned by Britney Spears. They were apparently given to Britney as a gift from Bill Gates for singing Happy Birthday to him. And like you I questioned if they could really be SATA drives with only 100mb, but was assured that they were the realy mcoy, the latest models no less, from Microsoft. They even had the "Made In Microsoft" Labels on them! This totally convinced me of their authenticity, and as he only charged me $500 for each of them, I just had to have them! I ask you, how could anyone turn down a deal like that? Oh yeah, and I got a free vacuume cleaner with them - unfortunately it was only an Apple Vac, but hey, it was free, so I took it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom