Upgrading Old Reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your budget for the motherboard and cpu upgrades? The parts I posted originally are a good vale but depending on how much you want to spend we may be able to do better.

Well, I'd say around $400 for now, but I do like that Mobo, because I don't have to buy a video card, or sound card.
The processor is alright I'd say to, because I do general things, not a hard core PC gamer, though I do like performance. Same with the GPU, it seems good, and I do like that HDMI slot.
If I need to, I'll buy a newer possessor and GPU later on.
But if you have any suggestions go right ahead and tell me.

Also, one more question... Is it safe to use liquid cooling? IDK, it seems risky, if a line busts, most of your parts are fried.

Well, I guess I'm going to go ahead and order the parts, everything seems good. It will go really fast. Later on, I'm going to buy a new GPU and a 3 or 4 core AMD possessor.
This is enough to satisfy me right now anyways.
Thanks for all the help.
Here's a list of what I'm getting...

1. Mother Board

Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

2. Memory

Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

3. Prosessor

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

4. Power Supply

Newegg.com - FSP Group SAGA+ 400R ATX12V 400W Power Supply 120/220 - 240v NEMKO, TUV, CSA, IEC, UL, CE - Power Supplies

5. DVD Drive

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D3S-04 - CD / DVD Drives

6. Cooling Compound

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

$282.94 Total

- Optional -

7. Case

Newegg.com - XION II XON-101 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Computer Cases

That setup should be fine for your needs and as you said you can always upgrade the cpu and video card later. If you do upgrade the video card that motherboard supports hybrid crossfire which allows you to use a HD3450 video card and the HD3200 on the motherboard together to improve performance. After installing a HD 3450 you simply activate Hybrid Crossfire in Catalyst Control Center.

Liquid cooling is safe since it generally uses distilled water which is not conductive but a good water cooling system will set you back a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks.

Heh, I've been looking at reviews of the newest AMD chipset and the Intel chipset, looks like AMD wipes the floor with Intel.
I saw some videos of the Intel chipset and the AMD chipset with the newest prosesors, Intel was lagging like heck, AMD was going smooth.

Thank you allot for suggesting these parts.

Heh, I've been looking at reviews of the newest AMD chipset and the Intel chipset, looks like AMD wipes the floor with Intel.
I saw some videos of the Intel chipset and the AMD chipset with the newest prosesors, Intel was lagging like heck, AMD was going smooth.

You sure you weren't watching a video from like 4 years ago? Currently no AMD processor comes on par or better than the Intel quad cores, the best AMD i personally think is one from the X3 range (can't remember the name) which performs @ a e8400 level.

Good build on the cheap though, at least AMD can still make sales, i really hope they come back so that Intel and AMD can be cpu warring again :)

You sure you weren't watching a video from like 4 years ago? Currently no AMD processor comes on par or better than the Intel quad cores, the best AMD i personally think is one from the X3 range (can't remember the name) which performs @ a e8400 level.

Good build on the cheap though, at least AMD can still make sales, i really hope they come back so that Intel and AMD can be cpu warring again :)

For real man. So long as Intel doesn't pull some sneaky bs move again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom