Upgrading old computer with newer motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryora

Baseband Member
Old computer specs:
Pentium D 820 800Mhz FSB LGA 775
2x512mb DDR2 PC-3200 200Mhz
GeForce 8600GTS PCI-E 16x

For some reason, the monitor won't detect video signals whenever the 8600GTS is in (not even the onboard graphics would work). Only when I remove the 8600GTS can I use the onboard graphics. I've tested the 8600GTS on other computers and it is fine. I've tested other PSU's on this computer, and I get the same results, so my best guess is that there is something wrong with the motherboard.

So I am looking at motherboards on newegg and this seems to be a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

I'm just worried that the Pentium D and the old PC-3200 RAM won't be compatible. I mean the motherboard has the LGA 775 socket and a DDR2 memory standard, so it should work in theory. But neither the Pentium D processor nor the PC-3200 400Mhz are listed in the supported components. I'm guessing maybe since the Pentium D is so horrible and the PC-3200 so old, that they forgot them mention them, but I could be wrong. Would this motherboard upgrade work?

It could work and it couldn't.

One other thing you might try is to install the graphic drivers for the card off the internet before its installed and see if that helps.

but by the sounds of it you wont see a great increase in performance seeing as the cpu will hold the graphics card back

I suggest rather than getting a new mobo getting a whole new cpu, mobo, and ram uopgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom