Upgrading old computer, for media center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
I'm taking my old Socket A build and upgrading it. After having problems with the BIOS, and it resetting all the time, it's about time I upgrade it, and put it to some use. My current setup :

Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512MB Mushkin PC2700
Western Digital 80GB
Connect3D ATI 9200SE 128MB
LG DVD+/-RW
Some off brand 400W PSU

I'm looking to upgrade most of it, besides the hard drive, and the optical drive. Looking to spend under $150 shipped, as it's only for watching DVDs/AVIs, and backing up current DVDs. I've looked around Newegg, and found some hardware that I would like to give a shot. Just lookin' to see if there are any suggestions that can be made to the list? New possible setup :

ASRock ALiveNF6P
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 6400
Sunbeam 480W PSU

The PSU I'm not so sure about, because it is cheap, and you get what you pay for, plus if I do decide to upgrade the graphics, I would probably have to upgrade the PSU.

Sunbeam is on the psu's not to trust list http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-137927/. The psu is the MOST important component don't skimp out money on it. Why would you need to upgrade the optical drive :s, 1gb of ram should also be ok. Correct me if I am wrong but your buying a cpu, motherboard and new ram, why not buy a low energy alternative like a E1200 and go the core duo route? Even better would be mini-itx like these if you keep the OS relatively clean you will have little speed demons easily able to play hd content. All you need to add with these is ram:
Newegg.com - JetWay J7F4K1G5D-PB VIA NanoBGA C7 Processor VIA CN700 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo
Newegg.com - JetWay JNC91-230-LF Intel Atom N230 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo
There are reviews on the intel atoms boards on miniitx.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom