upgrading the ol' girl

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
Hey all,

My sig rig has been kicking a** and taking names while maxing out every game ive thrown at it since I built it a couple years ago. Ive noticed that I cant quite max out the latest games like Far Cry 4, especially now that Im gaming at 2560x1440. so its time to upgrade, especially in preparation for a 4k monitor. The only thing that is different now than compared to my sig rig is that I have a 512gig Crucial M4 SSD for games now and a 4tb external drive for storage and server purposes.

From what I can tell, the only two things I can think to upgrade is the GPU and PSU.

Unless Nvidia comes out with a GTX990 in the next month or so, im going to pick up a used GTX Titan X and a water block for it. I want to stick with a single card solution since this is a water cooled rig and water cooling two cards is a pita. Ill also pick up a used higher wattage PSU with a hybrid mode, so the fan is off at idle.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the consensus of 4k right now is that its a bit underdeveloped. You can fork out the cash to run it but the windows workspace in 4k is kindof terrible, ive heard. Running games in 4k is difficult to clock much more than 30 FPS even with the highest grade equipment...
bf4.jpg

For me ever since I got the Asus 144hz/1ms monitor i'm completely hooked on high FPS & refresh rates...

Last edited:
4k now? No, we don't have nearly enough horsepower.

A 980 would be your better bet over a Titan Black.

Edit: And I didn't say Titan X because we don't know anything about it.

Last edited:
At 1600p the a stock 980 actually isn't much slower than the 690 and as resolution drops the gap gets closer. That's in perfect world scenario where both GPUs are working flawlessly. I'd be willing to bet whatever they do with GM210 will quite easily beat a 690. Then simply OC it a little, gaps further.

Im looking to upgrade my GPU, not downgrade to something that is almost as good.

I want a single card solution that beats my card, there are only 2 cards on the market that do that, a Titan Z and a 7990.

I already gave you your answer. It's coming, just wait.

The 7990 is lower than the 690, and the 295x2 is better than a Titan-Z at your resolution.

Back
Top Bottom