Upgrading now or changing later? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 23
Default Upgrading now or changing later?

My configuration is the one in the signature. In the last two years I've got a really hard time playing videogames, even if I changed the video card one year ago.
Currently, I'm short of cash, so I can't change my PC, but if I start saving now, for jan/feb probably I'll have the money to buy a new PC.
But since I'm an impatient person, I'm considering upgrading as an alternative to replacing. I'll like to know your opinion about this:

Will replacing my Celeron with a P4 3/3.2GHz HT and putting two DDR 400MHz modules (in dual channel configuration) allow me to play decently for the next couple of years? How much memory do you think I'll need?
(I plan to buy used stuff in case of an upgrade)

I'm not interested in playing at the maximum detail level, I simply want a stable frame rate.
Looking forward to your opinions, thx!

elvez is offline  
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,475

Just buy a new system. Its not worth upgrading for one year.

turtile is offline  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Trotter's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 31,384

It will make a huge difference. Just make sure you get the right socket for your CPU.

While a new system would be the best choice, upgrading might be all you can afford. Just don't spend too much for the bandage when the patient will be dead soon anyway.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 x6 core / MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue SSD 250GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR4 2400 / Win10 Pro x64
Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline  
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 639

Yes i recommend getting a better Cpu... Celeron's are a budget model and its 1.7 Ghz... Omg no wonder why you cant play games very good... And get more ram...256 Mb doesnt cut it anymore... Get a 1Gb to have 1.256 Gb of ram
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3400Mhz
Asus P5B-E
Samsung 400 GB Sata II
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-12
Zalman CNPS-9700 LED
Antec Nine Hundred
Hp W2207 22" Widescreen Monitor
Windows Vista Home Premium
Silverstone ST60F 600W PSU
Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue Gaming Mouse
gmanych is offline  
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,246

1.256 will not run in dual channel mode...
WorldIndustries is offline  
Old 10-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 23

Thanks for your advice.
I've decided to not upgrade, I will see in the next months what will be my computing needs, and see if I really need a new PC/laptop, as I'm not playing videogames much at the monent...

elvez is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.