Upgrading, need some wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

advnt

Solid State Member
Hello everyone ! I need some input on what to upgrade in my current computer so it can be midrange worthy for gaming. My current downside is that I only have a 32-bit operating system so I know my ram is going to be gimped quite a bit. Heres my current specs:

AMD Athlon II X3 435
MSI AM3 Socket Mobo
2 Gigabyte Patriot Ram DDR3
nVidia 9500gt
stock power supply lol ..

I know my first step should be to upgrade my power supply and video card for immediate improvement so I was trying to figure out what would be better, an Ati card or nvidia? I play games like World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 , Unreal 3 and trying to play Final Fantasy 14!

Im trying to keep the budget around 200-250 if thats possible ! Thank you again

thank you muffin man !

is it okay to run the 460 with my cpu though? I always thought that if your amd u should run ati and intel run nvidia cause thats usually what i see in peoples systems but I could be horribly wrong. is there any reason to do so?

What motherboard are you running? We can check to see if it is capable of unlocking the fourth core of your CPU, which may or may not work but it is worth a try. Unless it is an OEM...

I do some gaming with a older AMD dual core ( 3.0 ) with a 32 bit win7 Os- not high gaming , but still fun. So , don't let the 32 bit system put you off gaming. My kids play Starcraft 2 with the system without any lag on Medium-high settings.

I love that CPU, i'd say keep it, run 64 bit win 7, up your RAM to 4gb 1333mhz ddr3, and get an ATI Radeon 58xx video card and you should be able to play most games.

Starcraft 2 for sure - FFIV, iffy, you need alot for the HD online play, but if that's your thing its defiantly worth it

According to MSI, your motherboard has ACC so it should be able to unlock your CPU if it is unlockable. I am not familiar with MSI's BIOS setup, so you will just have to much around in it to find it. My Asus board actually allows you to hit a certain key during bootup to access the unlocker.

There is no guarantee that your fourth core will unlock, but the odds are in your favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom