Upgrading my system: Will my PSU suffice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempoi

Solid State Member
Hello Techforums! It's been 3 years since I was here but I'm back ;)

As a little christmas present to myself I have decided to upgrade my current system but if I could avoid buying a new PSU it would make it even better.

I currently have:
Abit IP-35e Motherboard
E2180 with OCZ vendetta cooler
GeForce 9500 GT
Corsair vx550w power supply
2x1GB Kingston Hyperx 800mhz ddr2 RAM sticks
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD

I'm looking to upgrade to:
Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz
1x4GB Kingston HyperX blu DDR3 1600MHz XMP DIMM
Asus P8H67-M Socket 1155 Motherboard
Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Revision 2 CPU Cooler
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB

My concern lies with the PSU as previously stated. I have used the calculator on eXtreme Power Supply Calculator with CPU utilisation and system load both at 100% and it says around 390-400 watts will suffice, however that is not taking Capacitor Aging into account. I have had this system for about 3 years now, apart from the GPU which I've had for around 1 year. I'd just like any of your opinions whether my corsair will still be able to do the job, I have had no bad history with it it's always done its job perfectly for me. What I was thinking is should I need to change my PSU then i'll drop the 550 Ti out of the equation and keep my 9500GT for the time being.

Let me know what you think and thank you!

*Note am also keeping the same HDD and DVD Reader/writer

I think it depends on your budget. If you are not swimming in cash try your new system w/ your old Corsair. If you have money to spare I'd get a 700-750W PSU. You don't need that much power initially, but what happens if you want to SLI your 550Ti w/ another one? If you have 750W you will have power to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom